Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > dat files

dat files

Mick

why do some files that I send seem to transform themselves into dat files
when I attach them to emails?? I've just sent a jpg to someone and a the
other end it's a .dat!

Thor

I've seen this happen with Outlook users when they send mail+attachments to
non outlook users in rich text format. If you are using Outlook for your
email, turn off the rich text setting, and send in plain text, instead.

"Mick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MEOhc.35624$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> why do some files that I send seem to transform themselves into dat files
> when I attach them to emails?? I've just sent a jpg to someone and a the
> other end it's a .dat!

Plato

Thor wrote:

> I've seen this happen with Outlook users when they send mail+attachments to
> non outlook users in rich text format. If you are using Outlook for your
> email, turn off the rich text setting, and send in plain text, instead.

I wish plain text was the standard for email.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Rv!

ANyone who sends me a winmail.dat message get's this
back from the server...

Please read the following information. It is important to you as you are
currently sending non-standard attachments. These attachments are only
viewable in Outlook. I and very many others do not use Outlook therefore your
attachments are complete useless to us.

Please read the details below on how to fix the problem.

From...
http://www.brooklyn.com/theatre-sound/winmail.html

You've got all these little "winmail.dat" files floating around, and you're wondering what they are, aren't you?
Well, it's a special proprietary format that Microsoft uses to send formatted text, etc., from one Outlook user to another. It's not
useful to anything but Outlook, and not really that useful there, either. It's sort of like "Rich Text Format" but different.
If you send out winmail.dat attachments to mailing lists, you're likely to get a lot of angry mail back demanding you send your mail
in "plain text and not html" -- to do that in Outlook, go to the address book, select the addressee (the mailing list posting
address, for instance), click on that address, right-click and select "properties", then click the "Name" tab, and at the bottom
you'll see a checkbox marked "send e-mail using plain text only" -- check that box, press OK, and you'll always send mail out to
that address in plain text (you can over-ride it, if you need to, by going to the "Format" menu in a new-message form, and selecting
"Rich Text (HTML)" instead of "plain text").

How to turn off winmail.dat attachments

In MS Outlook:
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Mail Format (or "Send") tab.
In the Send in this message format list, select Plain Text, and then click OK.

Thank you. This has been an automated response from my Mail Server.

Robertv!