Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > storing CDs on the hard drive

storing CDs on the hard drive

fruitbat

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c68uvj$n4o$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Make a folder on the drive, that has a name corresponding each of the

names
> of the CD's, so there is a logical reference to use them. If you have 5
> different CD programs, you will have 5 different folders (one for each).
>
> Now, open the respective folder, and do a complete copy of the contents of
> the CD disk to that folder. You will then have to work out the file that

is
> the start file for the program to run. You can then make a shortcut on

your
> desktop to this file. This way you can run the respective program from the
> CD disk.

I just tried this on three educational/game CDs and it not not work on any
of them.

Trent©

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 02:38:17 GMT, "The Prophecy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> This will not work if the cd has some form of copy protection.

>> Copy protection does not exist...depending on the expertise of the
>> person doing the copying.
>>
>> It'll 'work in most cases'.

>Are you on crack?

Not right now...no.

> Copy protection exists on virtually every game and app CD
>made within the last 5-6 years.

Sorry...yer wrong. An ATTEMPT at copy protection exists.

>(If that figure is off, somebody please let
>me know, EXCEPT "Trent" who does not appear to know **** all about CD's and
>copy protection.)

ROTFLMAO !!!

Have a nice week...

Trent

What do you call a smart blonde?
A golden retriever.

Trent©

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:43:28 +1000, "fruitbat" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:c68uvj$n4o$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Make a folder on the drive, that has a name corresponding each of the

>names
>> of the CD's, so there is a logical reference to use them. If you have 5
>> different CD programs, you will have 5 different folders (one for each).
>>
>> Now, open the respective folder, and do a complete copy of the contents of
>> the CD disk to that folder. You will then have to work out the file that

>is
>> the start file for the program to run. You can then make a shortcut on

>your
>> desktop to this file. This way you can run the respective program from the
>> CD disk.
>>

>I just tried this on three educational/game CDs and it not not work on any
>of them.

So...what happens? Do the programs need to be installed?

Have a nice week...

Trent

What do you call a smart blonde?
A golden retriever.

Michael-NC

"The Prophecy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Trent© wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:44:21 GMT, "The Prophecy"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> This will not work if the cd has some form of copy protection.

> > Copy protection does not exist...depending on the expertise of the
> > person doing the copying.
> >
> > It'll 'work in most cases'.
> >

> > Have a nice week...
> >
> > Trent
> >
> > What do you call a smart blonde?
> > A golden retriever.

> Are you on crack? Copy protection exists on virtually every game and app

CD
> made within the last 5-6 years. (If that figure is off, somebody please

let
> me know, EXCEPT "Trent" who does not appear to know **** all about CD's

and
> copy protection.)

Trent's a troll and an asswipe. Avoid posting to him or posts submitted by
him, unless it's to correct the ****ed-up advice he likes to give out.

colin

Michael-NC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsTyic.55568$(E-Mail Removed) om...

> "The Prophecy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Trent© wrote:

> > > Copy protection does not exist...depending on the expertise of the
> > > person doing the copying.
> > >
> > > It'll 'work in most cases'.
> > >

> > > Have a nice week...
> > >
> > > Trent
> > >
> > > What do you call a smart blonde?
> > > A golden retriever.

> > Are you on crack? Copy protection exists on virtually every game and app

> CD
> > made within the last 5-6 years. (If that figure is off, somebody please

> let
> > me know, EXCEPT "Trent" who does not appear to know **** all about CD's

> and
> > copy protection.)

> Trent's a troll and an asswipe. Avoid posting to him or posts submitted by
> him, unless it's to correct the ****ed-up advice he likes to give out.

Educate the bloke, if at all possible, as to what an iso is.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/index.php

The Prophecy

Michael-NC wrote:
> "The Prophecy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Trent© wrote:

>>> Copy protection does not exist...depending on the expertise of the
>>> person doing the copying.
>>>
>>> It'll 'work in most cases'.
>>>

>>> Have a nice week...
>>>
>>> Trent
>>>
>>> What do you call a smart blonde?
>>> A golden retriever.

>> Are you on crack? Copy protection exists on virtually every game and
>> app CD made within the last 5-6 years. (If that figure is off,
>> somebody please let me know, EXCEPT "Trent" who does not appear to
>> know **** all about CD's and copy protection.)

> Trent's a troll and an asswipe. Avoid posting to him or posts
> submitted by him, unless it's to correct the ****ed-up advice he
> likes to give out.

I don't even think you can call it advice.