Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Internet Explorer won't close normally.

Internet Explorer won't close normally.

Alan

Why is it I can't close down Internet explorer by clicking on the X in the
top right hand corner as usual. When I try, I get a beep sound and it won't
close down. The only way I can close it down is by pressing control, alt and
delete. All other pages close normally including Outlook Express. Anyone
have any ideas please.

Alan

Jerry G.

Have you checked out your system with Spybot, CWshredder, and Ad-Aware
lately? Have you scanned your system with an up to date virus scanner?

You may have something running in the background. There are many viruses,
adware and spyware programs going around form various sites, that do all
kinds of non-standard things to user's computers. We had a number of clients
with very weird problems lately from some of these Trojan type programs that
got in to their systems. We were never able to really determine how these
got in. Our suspicion is that they came from various web pages, and maybe
some emails.

--

Greetings,

Jerry G.
=====

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c65v39$cv8$(E-Mail Removed)...
Why is it I can't close down Internet explorer by clicking on the X in the
top right hand corner as usual. When I try, I get a beep sound and it won't
close down. The only way I can close it down is by pressing control, alt and
delete. All other pages close normally including Outlook Express. Anyone
have any ideas please.

Alan

Plato

Alan wrote:

> Why is it I can't close down Internet explorer by clicking on the X in the

IE can be a pain in the arse.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Alan

Jerry

I've scanned with everything you suggested with all software showing no
viruses etc, but I continue to have the same problems. I would appreciate
any further suggestion you or anyone else on the list can offer. Would a
system restore fix this as my PC was working fine the day befor yesterday?

Alan

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c66242$2vl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you checked out your system with Spybot, CWshredder, and Ad-Aware
> lately? Have you scanned your system with an up to date virus scanner?
>
> You may have something running in the background. There are many viruses,
> adware and spyware programs going around form various sites, that do all
> kinds of non-standard things to user's computers. We had a number of

clients
> with very weird problems lately from some of these Trojan type programs

that
> got in to their systems. We were never able to really determine how these
> got in. Our suspicion is that they came from various web pages, and maybe
> some emails.
>

> --
>
> Greetings,
>
> Jerry G.
> =====
>

> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c65v39$cv8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why is it I can't close down Internet explorer by clicking on the X in the
> top right hand corner as usual. When I try, I get a beep sound and it

won't
> close down. The only way I can close it down is by pressing control, alt

and
> delete. All other pages close normally including Outlook Express. Anyone
> have any ideas please.
>
> Alan

Alan

Plato

Thanks for the link, but my inexperience won't allow me to make use of it
unless you can point me to where I should be looking, specifically, sorry.
Can you advise me what I should be looking at and what I need to do please.

Alan

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:4087565f$0$1723$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alan wrote:
> >
> > Why is it I can't close down Internet explorer by clicking on the X in

the

> IE can be a pain in the arse.
>

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

Alan

Jerry & Plato,

I thought you and others would find the following of some help, perhaps now
or in the future. It solved my Internet Explorer not closing problem and
made very interesting reading too.
I will follow up with the address but for now the following was my solution.

Alan.
************************************************** **************
FIX IT HERE: unable to close the internet explorer window in win xp
Wednesday, September 24, 2003 at 4:59 pm
Posted by ssammy (1 messages posted)
FIX IT LIKE THIS: I wrestled with this for sometime before I finally figured
it out -- adware and spyware, folks. Yep. I thought I had it when I finally
got rid of a recent Windows Update to "Windows Updater" and I was seeing
some success, and then when I updated it again, no go! #$%^ After removing
many many updates on my client's pc, and then finally resorting to a full
rebuild with W2KSP4 [after getting trashy with it, so I felt sure I would
"overcome" ;^P ]... now way. OKAY... finally discovered it was a "BHO", or
Browser Helper Object... and actually I found out the guy had about four of
'em in there, from porno sites and such. SO HERE's THE DEAL: 1. Download
BHODemon here: http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm ...and try
that on for size ;^) THEN, 2. Download and scan, etc, with Lavasofts Adaware
(get it here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com ) and weed out and quarantine those
pesky little demons... 3. Download and Run: SpywareBlaster.. get it here:
http://www.spychecker.com/program/spywareblaster.html ...and don't forget to
check out their very super-chilled site, and thank them... those guys have
worked hard over the years (good people!). Alrighty... just had to do this
because I spent so much time... and for what? Should've known better. What
got me is you cannot find those processes running anywhere in task managers,
cannot see 'em anywhere in your browser environment, cannot detect them with
standard personal firewall software so you cannot tell they are busy doing
their thing that way, and you will not overtly know how to find this stuff
in the registry... its just really stealthy "gotcha-ware", and it just gets
in. Hope this helps. I'm curious... I'd like to know how you do... send me a
quicky email or something. Thank you SpyChecker, and you other adrioit
thinking cool folks who helped ;^) Cheers, Twohawks

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c66242$2vl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you checked out your system with Spybot, CWshredder, and Ad-Aware
> lately? Have you scanned your system with an up to date virus scanner?
>
> You may have something running in the background. There are many viruses,
> adware and spyware programs going around form various sites, that do all
> kinds of non-standard things to user's computers. We had a number of

clients
> with very weird problems lately from some of these Trojan type programs

that
> got in to their systems. We were never able to really determine how these
> got in. Our suspicion is that they came from various web pages, and maybe
> some emails.
>

> --
>
> Greetings,
>
> Jerry G.
> =====
>

> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c65v39$cv8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why is it I can't close down Internet explorer by clicking on the X in the
> top right hand corner as usual. When I try, I get a beep sound and it

won't
> close down. The only way I can close it down is by pressing control, alt

and
> delete. All other pages close normally including Outlook Express. Anyone
> have any ideas please.
>
> Alan

Alan

The link as promised.

Alan

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1052437765

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c68jbf$qcj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > got in to their systems. We were never able to really determine how

these
> > got in. Our suspicion is that they came from various web pages, and

maybe
> > some emails.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Jerry G.
> > =====
> >

> > "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c65v39$cv8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Why is it I can't close down Internet explorer by clicking on the X in

the
> > top right hand corner as usual. When I try, I get a beep sound and it

> won't
> > close down. The only way I can close it down is by pressing control, alt

> and
> > delete. All other pages close normally including Outlook Express.

Dono86 Dono86 is offline
Junior Member

I stumbled on this thread when I had the same issue with IE9 not wanting to close on the X and making a 'DING' sound instead.

I went through all the regular anti-adware/viruse programs which seemed redundent because my system is always secured.

What it turned out to be was there was an instance of IE stuck running in task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) found a large running iexplorer.exe process (~250,000k) closed it, no more problems.

Simple reboot could have fixed it too x-p