Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Help - cannot find some files in WIN.INI and Internet problem

Help - cannot find some files in WIN.INI and Internet problem

lkeikoomion

my computer had some virus and I used some virus software to clean
them but probably also deleted some files by accident.

now I have the following problems:

1st problem: when restart the computer, i get following three error
messages one by another.
"cannot find natal!.pif (or one of its components)... Could not load
or run natal!.pif in WIN.INI..."
"cannot find speedy.bat... Could not load or run speedy.bat in
WIN.INI... "
"cannot find instit.bat... Could not load or run instit.bat in
WIN.INI... "

Other problem is: I cannot use any internet browser software to access
any webpage or outlook cannot access server. But I see the DSL itself
connect well. I repaired IE and reinstalled the DSL software and still
have same problem. I think it is related with the first problem.

I do not have windows 98 CD. I only have system recovery CDs, but I
really do not like to use the recovery CDs unless it is absolutely no
other choice.

XMan

"lkeikoomion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> my computer had some virus and I used some virus software to clean
> them but probably also deleted some files by accident.
>
> now I have the following problems:
>
> 1st problem: when restart the computer, i get following three error
> messages one by another.
> "cannot find natal!.pif (or one of its components)... Could not load
> or run natal!.pif in WIN.INI..."
> "cannot find speedy.bat... Could not load or run speedy.bat in
> WIN.INI... "
> "cannot find instit.bat... Could not load or run instit.bat in
> WIN.INI... "

Open C:\Windows\WIN.INI in notepad and remove the three named files above
from the load= or run= lines (near the top of the file).

> Other problem is: I cannot use any internet browser software to access
> any webpage or outlook cannot access server. But I see the DSL itself
> connect well. I repaired IE and reinstalled the DSL software and still
> have same problem. I think it is related with the first problem.
>
> I do not have windows 98 CD. I only have system recovery CDs, but I
> really do not like to use the recovery CDs unless it is absolutely no
> other choice.

Look for the setup files on your hard-drive. E.g., files matching the
template: WIN98_??.CAB. In that folder you should find a SETUP.EXE. Run this
to re-install Windows over the top of itself, without losing any of your
data or your other installed programs (you might have to re-install one or
two broken programs, but not all).

Hugh Candlin

lkeikoomion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> my computer had some virus and I used some virus software to clean
> them but probably also deleted some files by accident.

Your problem is that you didn't clean them up enough,
particularly WIN.INI. The good news is that you didn't delete
any files by accident - those 3 files are viruses.

The bad news

http://securityresponse.symantec.com....a.d.worm.html

More bad news

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...rv.h.worm.html