Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How do I temporarily disable a DVD player?

How do I temporarily disable a DVD player?

John H. Power

Here is the problem in a nutshell. When I render a file in Adobe
Premiere Pro and I use MPEG rather than PCM compression for the audio
and I create a multiplexed Mpeg-2 file and then I try and play the
rendered file back on the monitor window in Premiere the computer
locks up. However, if I uninstall my DVD player software (I have both
PowerDVD and WinDVD) I do not have this problem. There are times when
I need to be able to play the file in the Premiere monitor window but
I do not want to have to uninstall my DVD software just so I can do
that, There is obviously a conflict in codecs or something somewhere
so I was wondering of there was a way I could temporarily "disable"
the DVD software while I did what I need to do in Premiere and then
"enable" it after I was done.

As an aside, the Adobe support group for Premiere Pro is awash with
issues and complaints about audio problems

As another aside, if I render using PCM as my audio choice then the
file will not play the audio in Quicktime and this is a big problem
since I use Quicktime constantly. There is no problem if the audio is
rendered with Mpeg compression. Quicktime is the only player I have
found that will let me step both forward and backward frame by frame
with the arrow keys, which is essential for me in analyzing Ballroom
dance routines. I can find players that will let me step forward
frame by frame but not backward.

Thanks

wilker

John H. Power <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> There is obviously a conflict in codecs or something somewhere
> so I was wondering of there was a way I could temporarily "disable"
> the DVD software while I did what I need to do in Premiere and then
> "enable" it after I was done.

John,
1. double-click the SYSTEM icon in the CONTROL PANEL
2. click the HARDWARE tab, and then click the DEVICE MANAGER
3. click the (+ )at the DVD/CD-ROM in the list
4. right click the DVD drive and select disable
5. select YES in the pop-up dialog box
this will place a red X by the device showing the device is disabled

Sorry can't help you with the second part of your question.

wilker