Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer automatically shutting down - No virus detected

Computer automatically shutting down - No virus detected

Just Someone

I'm using Windows 98 and from several Norton Virus scans, I don't have a
virus, nor did I have one that would have damaged my Windows files.

Can someone suggest what might be happening? The computer automatically
reboots itself, or even just shuts down and goes through the scandisk
because it wasn't shut down properly. This mostly happens when the computer
has been idle for a little to a long while.

Addie
"Not a computer expert -- but hardly an illiterate..."

Mark Mandell

"Just Someone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using Windows 98 and from several Norton Virus scans, I don't have a
> virus, nor did I have one that would have damaged my Windows files.
>
> Can someone suggest what might be happening? The computer automatically
> reboots itself, or even just shuts down and goes through the scandisk
> because it wasn't shut down properly. This mostly happens when the

computer
> has been idle for a little to a long while.
>
> Addie
> "Not a computer expert -- but hardly an

illiterate..."

Swap the power supply with another and see if that makes a difference.

Admiralla

If you don't mind my asking, what would the power supply have to do with it?

"Mark Mandell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZPcfc.9859$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

> "Just Someone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm using Windows 98 and from several Norton Virus scans, I don't have a
> > virus, nor did I have one that would have damaged my Windows files.
> >
> > Can someone suggest what might be happening? The computer automatically
> > reboots itself, or even just shuts down and goes through the scandisk
> > because it wasn't shut down properly. This mostly happens when the

> computer
> > has been idle for a little to a long while.
> >
> > Addie
> > "Not a computer expert -- but hardly an

> illiterate..."
> >

> Swap the power supply with another and see if that makes a difference.

mark mandel

"Admiralla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c5ko60$r1c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you don't mind my asking, what would the power supply have to do with

it?
One of the symptoms of a failing power supply is spontaneous, automatic
rebooting as seems to be the case here though I'll concede there could be
other causes as well.
> "Mark Mandell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ZPcfc.9859$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> >
> > "Just Someone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I'm using Windows 98 and from several Norton Virus scans, I don't have

> > > virus, nor did I have one that would have damaged my Windows files.
> > >
> > > Can someone suggest what might be happening? The computer

automatically
> > > reboots itself, or even just shuts down and goes through the scandisk
> > > because it wasn't shut down properly. This mostly happens when the

> > computer
> > > has been idle for a little to a long while.
> > >
> > > Addie
> > > "Not a computer expert -- but hardly an

> > illiterate..."
> > >

> > Swap the power supply with another and see if that makes a difference.

Wizard

Although it might be a power supply issue. I would first check all the
fans inside your case to see if they are all running, cean and upto
speed. This sounds like you have an over heat problem.

Just Someone wrote:

> I'm using Windows 98 and from several Norton Virus scans, I don't have a
> virus, nor did I have one that would have damaged my Windows files.
>
> Can someone suggest what might be happening? The computer automatically
> reboots itself, or even just shuts down and goes through the scandisk
> because it wasn't shut down properly. This mostly happens when the computer
> has been idle for a little to a long while.
>
> Addie
> "Not a computer expert -- but hardly an illiterate..."

The Prophecy

1. Check to make sure that all of your fans are working and that they are
not in backwards.

2. Make sure your computer is not in a room that is considerably warm.

3. Consider adding another fan in your computer case.

4. Shut your computer down, open the case and (after removing any static
electricity from your hands) touch each of the expansion cards (e.g: network
card, sound card, video card) to see how warm they are. If it burns your
hand when you touch one of them, throw the card out and replace it if
necessary.