Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Replacing Hdd in IBM Thinkpad 600.

Reply
Thread Tools

Replacing Hdd in IBM Thinkpad 600.

 
 
JD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
yes this problem would most likely apply to this old laptop however you can
create multiple partitions to overcome the problem

"JTJersey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0K%ec.25812$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I've experienced trickle down from my college daughter and have inherited
> her IBM Thinkpad 600 notebook. It's a PII 300 with 128Mb RAM, but only a
> 5Gig 4200rpm Hdd. I've seen 2" drives in the 20Gig range at 5400rpm
> advertised as useable in any laptop for around $89.00. In my experience

one
> of the single biggest improvements in speed was going to a faster hard
> drive, but I'm no notebook computer expert. Wasn't there a size problem
> with older systems when moving to larger drives, or wouldn't that apply

with
> this laptop?
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael-NC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c5i3o0$mik$(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes this problem would most likely apply to this old laptop however you

can
> create multiple partitions to overcome the problem


Wrong!!!

First, he may be taking about the physical size of the drive and second, you
can't overcome a bios limitation by partitioning. How this oft spread piece
of bullshit gets around so often is beyond me.

> "JTJersey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0K%ec.25812$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > I've experienced trickle down from my college daughter and have

inherited
> > her IBM Thinkpad 600 notebook. It's a PII 300 with 128Mb RAM, but only

a
> > 5Gig 4200rpm Hdd. I've seen 2" drives in the 20Gig range at 5400rpm
> > advertised as useable in any laptop for around $89.00. In my experience

> one
> > of the single biggest improvements in speed was going to a faster hard
> > drive, but I'm no notebook computer expert. Wasn't there a size

problem
> > with older systems when moving to larger drives, or wouldn't that apply

> with
> > this laptop?
> >
> >
> >

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JTJersey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 01:41:33 +0000, Michael-NC wrote:

>
> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c5i3o0$mik$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> yes this problem would most likely apply to this old laptop however you

> can
>> create multiple partitions to overcome the problem

>
> Wrong!!!
>
> First, he may be taking about the physical size of the drive and second, you
> can't overcome a bios limitation by partitioning. How this oft spread piece
> of bullshit gets around so often is beyond me.
>


Being as this notebook isn't THAT old (BIOS date of 1999) should I expect
a problem moving to a 20Gb Hdd? This was never a big deal in any of my
desktop conversions, but like I said, I'm no notebook expert.

--
Registered Linux User #267152


 
Reply With Quote
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c5i3o0$mik$(E-Mail Removed):

> yes this problem would most likely apply to this old laptop however
> you can create multiple partitions to overcome the problem


No, you can't. You are thinking of FAT16 having a limit of
2.1GB/partition. There is a BIOS limitation at 8.4GB. If the BIOS can't
see it, you can't partition around it.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
 
Reply With Quote
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
JTJersey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsan.2004.04.14.02.15.07.764948@anotherlinuxma chine.com:

> Being as this notebook isn't THAT old (BIOS date of 1999) should I expect
> a problem moving to a 20Gb Hdd? This was never a big deal in any of my
> desktop conversions, but like I said, I'm no notebook expert.


It /shouldn't/ be, but you should check out the information on the BIOS
from the maker's website before you plonk down the cash for it.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
 
Reply With Quote
 
JTJersey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
I've experienced trickle down from my college daughter and have inherited
her IBM Thinkpad 600 notebook. It's a PII 300 with 128Mb RAM, but only a
5Gig 4200rpm Hdd. I've seen 2" drives in the 20Gig range at 5400rpm
advertised as useable in any laptop for around $89.00. In my experience one
of the single biggest improvements in speed was going to a faster hard
drive, but I'm no notebook computer expert. Wasn't there a size problem
with older systems when moving to larger drives, or wouldn't that apply with
this laptop?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
JTJersey wrote:
>
> I've experienced trickle down from my college daughter and have inherited
> her IBM Thinkpad 600 notebook. It's a PII 300 with 128Mb RAM, but only a
> 5Gig 4200rpm Hdd. I've seen 2" drives in the 20Gig range at 5400rpm
> advertised as useable in any laptop for around $89.00. In my experience one
> of the single biggest improvements in speed was going to a faster hard
> drive, but I'm no notebook computer expert. Wasn't there a size problem
> with older systems when moving to larger drives, or wouldn't that apply with
> this laptop?


I know many PII 400s have a 32 gig drive bios limitation. If the PII 300
was made about the same time the 20 gig should work as the bios's should
be the same, relatively speaking. The next lower limit was 8.4 gigs I
believe. Perhaps a call to HP will help.



--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
JD wrote:
>
> yes this problem would most likely apply to this old laptop however you can
> create multiple partitions to overcome the problem


Not necessarily.


>
> "JTJersey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0K%ec.25812$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > I've experienced trickle down from my college daughter and have inherited
> > her IBM Thinkpad 600 notebook. It's a PII 300 with 128Mb RAM, but only a
> > 5Gig 4200rpm Hdd. I've seen 2" drives in the 20Gig range at 5400rpm
> > advertised as useable in any laptop for around $89.00. In my experience

> one
> > of the single biggest improvements in speed was going to a faster hard
> > drive, but I'm no notebook computer expert. Wasn't there a size problem
> > with older systems when moving to larger drives, or wouldn't that apply

> with
> > this laptop?
> >
> >
> >


--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
JTJersey wrote:
>
> Being as this notebook isn't THAT old (BIOS date of 1999) should I expect
> a problem moving to a 20Gb Hdd? This was never a big deal in any of my
> desktop conversions, but like I said, I'm no notebook expert.


From my experience, notebook technology generally lags behind desktops
in regards to bios issues. In other words, the motherboards/bios's
aren't updated as fast as desktop motherboards/bios's. The other thing
to consider is brands. "cheap" brands tend to use way older bios's than
"better" brands sold at the same time. That's one thing that's great
about building clones ie you always [should] get the latest version of
the motherboard you want to use. Motherboards have version numbers just
like software does.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2004
DeMoN LaG wrote:
>
> > yes this problem would most likely apply to this old laptop however
> > you can create multiple partitions to overcome the problem

>
> No, you can't. You are thinking of FAT16 having a limit of
> 2.1GB/partition. There is a BIOS limitation at 8.4GB. If the BIOS can't
> see it, you can't partition around it.


There are actually two issues. #1 does the bios see the drive at all? eg
the stock PII 400s we built way back when cant see a > 32 gig drive no
matter what. The only solution was a bios flash. #2 the bios sees the
drive but incorrectly. This _may_ be overcome with those special jumper
settings and using the disk manager [overlay].
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my laptop sata hdd crahed,can i use seagate portable hdd as laptopsata hdd through some convertors?? ashjas Computer Support 2 03-29-2008 07:24 PM
laptop: IBM Thinkpad 560e: floppy drive doesn't work after installing new HDD. Mad Dog Mike @ 56Kers . com Computer Support 8 04-08-2006 05:00 PM
Can't get wireless card in IBM thinkpad to "see" my wireless netwo =?Utf-8?B?Sm1hbg==?= Wireless Networking 1 12-26-2005 12:13 PM
IBm thinkpad wireless question Tracy Wireless Networking 3 04-16-2005 02:42 PM
Cisco 1100 AP and IBM ThinkPad T40 problem John Strow Wireless Networking 1 11-11-2004 11:06 PM



Advertisments