Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Connecting 2 PCs by USB

Connecting 2 PCs by USB

Juha Kettunen

Somebody already asked a question "by serial cable" ...

Mine (maybe a simple one) is, that I need to use my friends laptop DVD drive
to copy DVDs onto my computer. We both have Windows XP and USB. Is the
transfer so easy that I just buy a USB cable and they are automatically
connected (I would quess so), or do I need some kind of software as well?

Thanks

Juha

Thor

"Juha Kettunen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8wQec.673$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Somebody already asked a question "by serial cable" ...
>
> Mine (maybe a simple one) is, that I need to use my friends laptop DVD

drive
> to copy DVDs onto my computer. We both have Windows XP and USB. Is the
> transfer so easy that I just buy a USB cable and they are automatically
> connected (I would quess so), or do I need some kind of software as well?

You need a special USB file transfer cable, and it usually comes with
software, although I'm not sure if XP requires it. Alternatively, you can
achieve something similar if you buy two USB ethernet adapters, and then
connect them with a crossover ethernet cable. Then you would have the two
machines networked, and can share files that way, but I think the plain file
transfer cable would be less expensive overall.

Car PCs, mini PCs run Linux and windowsXP Andy Computer Information 0 01-27-2006 02:14 AM
Car PCs, mini PCs run Linux and windowsXP Andy NZ Computing 0 01-26-2006 01:23 AM
Connecting Two PCs Using an USB-USB Cable Silverstrand Front Page News 0 11-16-2005 09:51 PM
connecting 2 pcs Rich Computer Support 3 07-18-2005 07:49 PM
connecting PCs by serial cable fruitbat Computer Information 3 04-14-2004 06:35 AM

Advertisments