Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > connecting PCs by serial cable

connecting PCs by serial cable

fruitbat

What software and setup do I need to connect two computers by serial cable
in order to transfer files.
I have been given a suitable cable but need info on software that will allow
me to backup files from my old PC to a newer one.

Wizard

"Direct Cable Connection" which is part of Windoz. I will warn you that
Serial is slower than greased owl ****. You really need to do this
parallel.

fruitbat wrote:

> What software and setup do I need to connect two computers by serial cable
> in order to transfer files.
> I have been given a suitable cable but need info on software that will allow
> me to backup files from my old PC to a newer one.

Michael-NC

If you have any appreciable amount of data to transfer, I'd get a couple of
7 dollar NICS and a 10 buck cross-over cable and have at it that way. Much
faster. Most of the time the machine already has an Ethernet connection
available.

"fruitbat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:407bc32e$0$16599$(E-Mail Removed). au...
> What software and setup do I need to connect two computers by serial cable
> in order to transfer files.
> I have been given a suitable cable but need info on software that will

allow
> me to backup files from my old PC to a newer one.

Robert Baer

Wizard wrote:

> "Direct Cable Connection" which is part of Windoz. I will warn you that
> Serial is slower than greased owl ****. You really need to do this
> parallel.
>
> fruitbat wrote:
> >
> > What software and setup do I need to connect two computers by serial cable
> > in order to transfer files.
> > I have been given a suitable cable but need info on software that will allow
> > me to backup files from my old PC to a newer one.

....or put both hard drives in the same computer, power on, boot up and
go *really* fast.