Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Can I do this???

Can I do this???

I have a machine with a 40G drive partitioned with a 98SE partition, an XP
Home one, a 3.1 one, and one for Data.

Another machine has a 40G drive with a 98SE partition (soon to be run with a
2K upgrade) and 2 Data partitions.

The third machine has an 8.4G drive that has only one partition, IIRC (but
can't verify till I get down there to look), 98SE also to upgrade to 2K.

Can I get a 120G drive and successfully make three separate and complete
images of all three drives on just the one 120G disk? I would like to make
complete backups of all three that only need to be copied back to the
original machine and be bootable immediately after copying back to the
original machine.

The Second unit is used a youngster who can bugger it up good sometimes and
I want to have a quick backup. The Third is used by an 80 something guy who
can also bugger it up danged good but is just far enough away that I cannot
get there to invest more than an hour or two of maintenance. The First is
mine... and I have been flying with no backup since a drive died a while
back.

I just don't see the cash available to buy three drives right now and, while
I think the 2K may help some of their problems, I need to get good copies of
each drive available *soon*!

Any suggestions on how to deal with this would be appreciated.

DeMoN LaG

"<62>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Can I get a 120G drive and successfully make three separate and
> complete images of all three drives on just the one 120G disk? I would
> like to make complete backups of all three that only need to be copied
> back to the original machine and be bootable immediately after copying
> back to the original machine.

Get a few removable drive bays. Attach them to the secondary IDE channel,
and jumper the drive inside as a Master or Slave (depending on how you
jumper the other device on that channel).

Though I don't like the efficiency of FAT32, just create a disk image using
a program like ghost of each drive, to a file on the 120GB drive. So
you'll have 3 files, something like:
machine1.img
machine2.img
machine3.img

Should a machine crap out, you can insert the removable bay and drive
(easily, instead of having to take the machine apart) and boot to a
diskette with Ghost on it and have it re-image the primary drive from the
secondary using the image file you created for that machine.

You could also do it with CDRs if you wanted to. We got that in one of my
classes. About 5 sets of Win2k Pro and another 3 sets of Win2k Server
(about 16 CDRs total, 2 CDRs per image).

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "<62>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Can I get a 120G drive and successfully make three separate and
> > complete images of all three drives on just the one 120G disk? I would
> > like to make complete backups of all three that only need to be copied
> > back to the original machine and be bootable immediately after copying
> > back to the original machine.

> Get a few removable drive bays. Attach them to the secondary IDE channel,
> and jumper the drive inside as a Master or Slave (depending on how you
> jumper the other device on that channel).
>
> Though I don't like the efficiency of FAT32, just create a disk image

using
> a program like ghost of each drive, to a file on the 120GB drive. So
> you'll have 3 files, something like:
> machine1.img
> machine2.img
> machine3.img
>
> Should a machine crap out, you can insert the removable bay and drive
> (easily, instead of having to take the machine apart) and boot to a
> diskette with Ghost on it and have it re-image the primary drive from the
> secondary using the image file you created for that machine.

Thanks. Are img files compressed? Is this an absolute and bootable copy when
restored? How large are img files, ie... how large does the removeable disk
need to be?

Thanks again.

DeMoN LaG

"<62>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Thanks. Are img files compressed? Is this an absolute and bootable
> copy when restored? How large are img files, ie... how large does the
> removeable disk need to be?

Use the 120GB drive as the removable disk. I believe you can compress
images if you like. The image is an /exact/ clone of what you imaged. If
the original is bootable, writing the image to a drive will make the drive
bootable.

--

> "<62>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Thanks. Are img files compressed? Is this an absolute and bootable
> > copy when restored? How large are img files, ie... how large does the
> > removeable disk need to be?

> Use the 120GB drive as the removable disk. I believe you can compress
> images if you like. The image is an /exact/ clone of what you imaged. If
> the original is bootable, writing the image to a drive will make the drive
> bootable.

I was in a hurry and probably not clear as to why I wondered about the size.
I think that one of the machines may have an 8.4G (or some other small)
limit and do not know about the other 40G machine's limit. This one sees
137G, but I can't say for sure about the others.

If I have to do some sort of fdisk on a 120G drive and then set it up with
one 8.4G partition, one 40G partition and then what's left on the last one
and put one *.img file on each one... will the 8.4G (or whatever it's
limitation might be) machine see it's partition even though the BIOS doesn't
understand the overall size? If the size of the *.img file isn't as large as
the actual drive being copied... maybe I could snag some sort of 2.1 drive
or whatever at a show or on the net or something, but I'd rather have it all
on one known new disk with no compression, if that's workable.

Just ain't never nuthin' simple, is there?

Thanks again

DeMoN LaG

"<62>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> If I have to do some sort of fdisk on a 120G drive and then set it up
> with one 8.4G partition, one 40G partition and then what's left on the
> last one and put one *.img file on each one... will the 8.4G (or
> whatever it's limitation might be) machine see it's partition even
> though the BIOS doesn't understand the overall size? If the size of
> the *.img file isn't as large as the actual drive being copied...
> maybe I could snag some sort of 2.1 drive or whatever at a show or on
> the net or something, but I'd rather have it all on one known new disk
> with no compression, if that's workable.

If the machine has an 8.4 GB limitation, it's based on the BIOS not being
able to recognize a drive larger than that. Your options are to use a
smaller drive, or to buy a Promise IDE controller card for the drive which
will overcome the BIOS limitation. A BIOS upgrade may also be possible.