Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Help - My son's computer won't work

Help - My son's computer won't work

Michael-NC

"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> My feeling is that your son might have accidentaly deleted some critical

OS
> components. Try to do a clean re-install of the OS system, which will also
> mean the hard drive will be wiped clean.
>
> Daniel

Removing critical files or even removing the hard disc entirely would not
cause the machine to not post. That is not the problem.

Michael-NC

"HF" <(E-Mail Removed)21.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Put a boot disk in and see how far you get .Dont know what your OS is but

if
> it is a 98 or Me OS then use fdisk from the boot disk to look at the

drive.
> At the worst reinstal the OS. If it is XP make sure the bios is set to

look
> to the cdrom to boot and put that in.If he loses data how much can he lose
> after only four months.

Again, if the machine will not post, a boot disc will not help you.

Global_Killa

"Mike Day" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40793415$0$3302$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My son has a 4 month old pc with an AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB processor and
> MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0
> Motherboard. We put the pc together around the end of last year and it
> worked well.
>
> He now tells me that it won't boot and that he gets no display on the
> monitor ie it remains on standby. He has tried the pc with his sister's
> monitor and the same thing happens so it isn't the monitor.
>
> The fans work and the HDD light comes on for a couple of seconds but that

it
> all that happens. I have measured the power supply voltages and they are

all
> OK.
>
> He swears blind that he hasn't done anything but, as he is a typical 16

year
> old, I am not so sure.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the problem
> and how I can fix it ?
>
> TIA
> Mike

I had this problem a couple of times. You turn your computer on, and nothing
happens. You can't even get into the BIOS because the system wont even
start, only the power comes on so the HD and fans come on, but nothing
happens. Ever time I've had this problem its been because a screw inside my
case has become loose and dropped onto either my motherboard or case bottom.

In the case of the screw dropping on my motherboard, the computer was usless
after that, had to buy a new one.
But when the screw had dropped onto the bottom of my case, I replaced the
screw and my computer worked fine. So check inside the case to make sure
nothing has come loose, and your son hasn't taken the case off and dropped a
screw on the motherboard.

The other thing which has caused my computer to do this, was loose cables
connecting my components. Check all of the cables, on the motherboard and
the components.

Hope this helped,

--
Global_Killa

http://punkthenation.tk

Jerry G.

Do you get any of the standard post messages? If not, remove everything
except the RAM. See if you get a post message when the power is applied. If
you do not, I would strongly think the mother board or the CPU has failed.

Just recently, I had to change a mother board in a machine. It was
completely stopped. Everything else in this machine was good.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

[...]

Mark

I've got the same mobo and had the same problem only yesterday with no
video signal. It happened as a result of "tinkering" with
overclocking.... However, I'm not 16 so can freely admit to my mistake
without incurring the wrath of my Dad

What fixed it for me:

There is a separate jumper on the K7N2 delta mobo (J11 I think it's
called) which puts the FSB into "safe mode" (100 as opposed to 133).
Set the jumper to safe mode (it is in the manual but if you don't have
access I'm sure it is online - or I can look later for you. It's only
got 3 pins with a 2 pin jumper so can only have 2 possible positions
in any case...) then boot the system. This should allow you into BIOS
to load the system defaults (or finally get your son to admit which
settings he changed...). Once you're happy with the BIOS settings,
save them and exit. Power off as normal and reset the FSB jumper to
"user mode" (ie 133). Reboot and you should be sorted.

Good luck.

Regards

Mark