Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Help - My son's computer won't work

Help - My son's computer won't work

Mike Day

My son has a 4 month old pc with an AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB processor and
MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0
Motherboard. We put the pc together around the end of last year and it
worked well.

He now tells me that it won't boot and that he gets no display on the
monitor ie it remains on standby. He has tried the pc with his sister's
monitor and the same thing happens so it isn't the monitor.

The fans work and the HDD light comes on for a couple of seconds but that it
all that happens. I have measured the power supply voltages and they are all
OK.

He swears blind that he hasn't done anything but, as he is a typical 16 year
old, I am not so sure.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the problem
and how I can fix it ?

TIA
Mike

Michael-NC

Any beep codes when the machine starts?

Did you try to reseat the memory modules?

Check to make sure the CPU fan is securely attached?

Try to reseat the video card?

Make sure the board is not shorting on the case or misplaced standoff?

Try to boot after disconnecting _all_ components except memory and video
card?

"Mike Day" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40793415$0$3302$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My son has a 4 month old pc with an AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB processor and
> MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0
> Motherboard. We put the pc together around the end of last year and it
> worked well.
>
> He now tells me that it won't boot and that he gets no display on the
> monitor ie it remains on standby. He has tried the pc with his sister's
> monitor and the same thing happens so it isn't the monitor.
>
> The fans work and the HDD light comes on for a couple of seconds but that

it
> all that happens. I have measured the power supply voltages and they are

all
> OK.
>
> He swears blind that he hasn't done anything but, as he is a typical 16

year
> old, I am not so sure.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the problem
> and how I can fix it ?
>
> TIA
> Mike

Wizard

Open it up and make sure the memory is tight in it's slot and check all
other cards and cables.

Mike Day wrote:

> My son has a 4 month old pc with an AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB processor and
> MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0
> Motherboard. We put the pc together around the end of last year and it
> worked well.
>
> He now tells me that it won't boot and that he gets no display on the
> monitor ie it remains on standby. He has tried the pc with his sister's
> monitor and the same thing happens so it isn't the monitor.
>
> The fans work and the HDD light comes on for a couple of seconds but that it
> all that happens. I have measured the power supply voltages and they are all
> OK.
>
> He swears blind that he hasn't done anything but, as he is a typical 16 year
> old, I am not so sure.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the problem
> and how I can fix it ?
>
> TIA
> Mike

Michael-NC

Is there an echo in here?

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Open it up and make sure the memory is tight in it's slot and check all
> other cards and cables.
>
> Mike Day wrote:
> >
> > My son has a 4 month old pc with an AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB processor

and
> > MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0
> > Motherboard. We put the pc together around the end of last year and it
> > worked well.
> >
> > He now tells me that it won't boot and that he gets no display on the
> > monitor ie it remains on standby. He has tried the pc with his sister's
> > monitor and the same thing happens so it isn't the monitor.
> >
> > The fans work and the HDD light comes on for a couple of seconds but

that it
> > all that happens. I have measured the power supply voltages and they are

all
> > OK.
> >
> > He swears blind that he hasn't done anything but, as he is a typical 16

year
> > old, I am not so sure.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the

problem
> > and how I can fix it ?
> >
> > TIA
> > Mike

HF

Put a boot disk in and see how far you get .Dont know what your OS is but if
it is a 98 or Me OS then use fdisk from the boot disk to look at the drive.
At the worst reinstal the OS. If it is XP make sure the bios is set to look
to the cdrom to boot and put that in.If he loses data how much can he lose
after only four months.
"Mike Day" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40793415$0$3302$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My son has a 4 month old pc with an AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB processor and
> MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0
> Motherboard. We put the pc together around the end of last year and it
> worked well.
>
> He now tells me that it won't boot and that he gets no display on the
> monitor ie it remains on standby. He has tried the pc with his sister's
> monitor and the same thing happens so it isn't the monitor.
>
> The fans work and the HDD light comes on for a couple of seconds but that

it
> all that happens. I have measured the power supply voltages and they are

all
> OK.
>
> He swears blind that he hasn't done anything but, as he is a typical 16

year
> old, I am not so sure.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the problem
> and how I can fix it ?
>
> TIA
> Mike

---

HF

Put a boot disk in and see how far you get .Dont know what your OS is but if
it is a 98 or Me OS then use fdisk from the boot disk to look at the drive.
At the worst reinstal the OS. If it is XP make sure the bios is set to look
to the cdrom to boot and put that in.If he loses data how much can he lose
after only four months.

"Mike Day" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40793415$0$3302$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My son has a 4 month old pc with an AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB processor and
> MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0
> Motherboard. We put the pc together around the end of last year and it
> worked well.
>
> He now tells me that it won't boot and that he gets no display on the
> monitor ie it remains on standby. He has tried the pc with his sister's
> monitor and the same thing happens so it isn't the monitor.
>
> The fans work and the HDD light comes on for a couple of seconds but that

it
> all that happens. I have measured the power supply voltages and they are

all
> OK.
>
> He swears blind that he hasn't done anything but, as he is a typical 16

year
> old, I am not so sure.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the problem
> and how I can fix it ?
>
> TIA
> Mike

---

bearman

"Mike Day" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40793415$0$3302$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My son has a 4 month old pc with an AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB processor and
> MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0
> Motherboard. We put the pc together around the end of last year and it
> worked well.
>
> He now tells me that it won't boot and that he gets no display on the
> monitor ie it remains on standby. He has tried the pc with his sister's
> monitor and the same thing happens so it isn't the monitor.
>
> The fans work and the HDD light comes on for a couple of seconds but that

it
> all that happens. I have measured the power supply voltages and they are

all
> OK.
>
> He swears blind that he hasn't done anything but, as he is a typical 16

year
> old, I am not so sure.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the problem
> and how I can fix it ?
>
> TIA
> Mike

Try turning off the power switch in the back of the machine (or even
unplugging it) for a while.

Bearman

Mike Day

I have tried everything you have suggested and still i get no response on
the screen and i get no beeps at all. Do you have any other suggestions as
to what maybe the problem and how i can solve it?
Thanks.

"Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Iubec.14050$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Any beep codes when the machine starts?
>
> Did you try to reseat the memory modules?
>
> Check to make sure the CPU fan is securely attached?
>
> Try to reseat the video card?
>
> Make sure the board is not shorting on the case or misplaced standoff?
>
> Try to boot after disconnecting _all_ components except memory and video
> card?
>

> "Mike Day" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:40793415$0$3302$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My son has a 4 month old pc with an AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB processor

and
> > MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0
> > Motherboard. We put the pc together around the end of last year and it
> > worked well.
> >
> > He now tells me that it won't boot and that he gets no display on the
> > monitor ie it remains on standby. He has tried the pc with his sister's
> > monitor and the same thing happens so it isn't the monitor.
> >
> > The fans work and the HDD light comes on for a couple of seconds but

that
> it
> > all that happens. I have measured the power supply voltages and they are

> all
> > OK.
> >
> > He swears blind that he hasn't done anything but, as he is a typical 16

> year
> > old, I am not so sure.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the

problem
> > and how I can fix it ?
> >
> > TIA
> > Mike

Daniel

My feeling is that your son might have accidentaly deleted some critical OS
components. Try to do a clean re-install of the OS system, which will also
mean the hard drive will be wiped clean.

Daniel

"Mike Day" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40799cc5$0$3304$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have tried everything you have suggested and still i get no response on
> the screen and i get no beeps at all. Do you have any other suggestions as
> to what maybe the problem and how i can solve it?
> Thanks.
>
> "Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Iubec.14050$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Any beep codes when the machine starts?
> >
> > Did you try to reseat the memory modules?
> >
> > Check to make sure the CPU fan is securely attached?
> >
> > Try to reseat the video card?
> >
> > Make sure the board is not shorting on the case or misplaced standoff?
> >
> > Try to boot after disconnecting _all_ components except memory and video
> > card?
> >

> > "Mike Day" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:40793415$0$3302$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > My son has a 4 month old pc with an AMD Athlon XP2500 333FSB processor

> and
> > > MSI K7N2 Delta-L SKT A 8xAGP DDR400 Nforce2 6ch Sound LAN USB 2.0
> > > Motherboard. We put the pc together around the end of last year and it
> > > worked well.
> > >
> > > He now tells me that it won't boot and that he gets no display on the
> > > monitor ie it remains on standby. He has tried the pc with his

sister's
> > > monitor and the same thing happens so it isn't the monitor.
> > >
> > > The fans work and the HDD light comes on for a couple of seconds but

> that
> > it
> > > all that happens. I have measured the power supply voltages and they

are
> > all
> > > OK.
> > >
> > > He swears blind that he hasn't done anything but, as he is a typical

16
> > year
> > > old, I am not so sure.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the

> problem
> > > and how I can fix it ?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > > Mike

Michael-NC

He may have tried to overclock the CPU and the machine is stuck in a
unsupportable setting. Try to reset the cmos. You need to have the manual to
ID the jumper but it's usually by the battery and you just need to move it
over to the next set of pins for a few seconds. Alternatively, remove the
battery for a couple hours and that should do it as well. If all else fails,
remove the board from the machine and look for misplaced motherboard
stand-offs that are shorting the board. Try the board out of the machine
with only video card, one stick of ram and CPU with fan attached. Se if it
will post out of the machine. If that fails, I'd try a new power supply.