Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows starts slower.

Windows starts slower.

Jamie

I am running Windows XP and the other day I wanted to read some old
documents that were written in a DOS based program called Key Word Pro. I
didn't install the program but loaded it through my floppy drive just as I
did with my old computer which I had about 14 yrs ago. Ever since I have ran
that program Windows starts slower displaying "Windows is starting up" on
the screen first, which it's never done before. Why is it doing this and is
this normal?

kyote

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 02:42:45 GMT, "Jamie" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I am running Windows XP and the other day I wanted to read some old
>documents that were written in a DOS based program called Key Word Pro. I
>didn't install the program but loaded it through my floppy drive just as I
>did with my old computer which I had about 14 yrs ago. Ever since I have ran
>that program Windows starts slower displaying "Windows is starting up" on
>the screen first, which it's never done before. Why is it doing this and is
>this normal?

It's normal for it to say windows is starting up. It's not normal for
it to be running slower than it was unless considerably more was done
than you think. Are you running updated Anti-virus software? Floppies
can spread boot sector virus's which can be very difficult to get rid
of. If you have anti-virus software make sure that it's virus
definitions are completely up to date and make sure it has real time
protection turned on as well. If you have the software but it doesn't
have it's real time protection activated then you can still get a
virus. In that case I'd recommend at the very least doing a full
system scan of any non-removable drives. If you have a virus then scan
the floppy as well.

-------
Kyote.sends("Greetings");

XP Pro help please, why does my system 32 folder open when windows starts Wizard Computer Support 4 07-03-2006 07:53 AM
Start when windows starts. etam C++ 7 01-09-2006 01:18 AM
Connect to wireless before windows starts =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24gUnlvbg==?= Wireless Networking 1 01-26-2005 03:28 AM
Instant Messenger starts when Outlook Express 6 starts no matter what is checked! Route9w Computer Support 11 07-08-2004 01:13 PM
Windows 2000 starts up again immediately after shut down. Alasdair Baxter Computer Support 3 09-29-2003 09:50 PM

Advertisments