Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > GIGO

Jeff

GIGO

When bureaucrats blame their latest mess on "the computer," computer-
literate people sometimes reply "GIGO," or "Garbage In, Garbage Out."
In other words, if a computer is programmed with garbage, then garbage
will be the result. Unfortunately, a significant portion of this
garbage is routed to printing devices, with the result that tons of
paper are wasted each day. Some of this paper is recycled. More
recently, though, some enterprising people have been buying up
discarded computer printout, shredding it, and selling it to horse
people for use as a bedding material.

"So what the heck is 'bedding'?" I'm glad you asked! Bedding is what
you put down on the bottom of a horse's stall to provide comfort and
sanitation for your horse. The average 1,200lb. stable-kept horse
drinks at least eight gallons of water, and eats 20lbs. of hay each
day. I don't think I have to tell you what becomes of most of that, so
an essential quality of good bedding is absorbency, and it would seem
that traditional materials such as straw and wood shavings are no match
for shredded printout. So, for all of you software developers, coders,
and computer programmers: Beware! The equine world is watching now, and
even as you are reading this, your local rancher's prized appaloosa
mare is likely rendering her "opinion" over all your hard work!

Jeff