Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Best Dial-Up Modem

Best Dial-Up Modem

Fudge

My telephone line is terrible. Lots of noise and hum and when it rains, the
bit rate goes way down. I need the ultimate dial up modem. The best I can do
is 26.4 Kbps with a Motorola modem. Units from Pine and Acer are about the
same. Can anyone recommend the best modem for these condition?

Farmer John

Wizard

3com (US Robotics), however nothing is going to perform well until you
get the phone company to fix the line. When you call them, tell em it's
the fax machine & you can hear staic on the line.

Fudge wrote:

> My telephone line is terrible. Lots of noise and hum and when it rains, the
> bit rate goes way down. I need the ultimate dial up modem. The best I can do
> is 26.4 Kbps with a Motorola modem. Units from Pine and Acer are about the
> same. Can anyone recommend the best modem for these condition?
>
> Farmer John

Thor

US Robotics Courier is really the benchmark for superiority in connection
stability, but I don't think you'll like the pricetag.

http://www.usr.com/products/business...p?sku=USR3453B

Aside from that, I'd suggest this one.

http://www.usr.com/products/home/hom...p?sku=USR5610B

US Robotics modems have always had the edge in connection relibility in my
experience. Where a conexant, or Lucent model would connect at a "fair"
speed, USR modems nearly always connect reliably at a faster speed, and deal
with line noise more effectively. But if you have audible line noise, that
is grounds to get your telco repair guys hopping to track down the source of
the problem.

"Fudge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ATYcc.31340$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> My telephone line is terrible. Lots of noise and hum and when it rains,

the
> bit rate goes way down. I need the ultimate dial up modem. The best I can

do
> is 26.4 Kbps with a Motorola modem. Units from Pine and Acer are about the
> same. Can anyone recommend the best modem for these condition?
>
> Farmer John

w_tom

Seek information on Shannon's Law. In simple terms, your
signal in relation to your noise determines maximum bit rate.
That fundamental fact should be well known and understood by
everyone who replies to your question - because it is that
fundamental to how modems work - and even why 56K modems only
work at 53K max.

No magic modem is going to undermine that so famous and
fundamental theory. Fix the lines. It's not difficult to
keep lines dry and noise free. But moreso, you have no
alternative due to limitations of Shannon's law.

Fudge wrote:
> My telephone line is terrible. Lots of noise and hum and when it
> rains, the bit rate goes way down. I need the ultimate dial up
> modem. The best I can do is 26.4 Kbps with a Motorola modem. Units
> from Pine and Acer are about the same. Can anyone recommend the
> best modem for these condition?

sno

I have similar problem...the best have found for my
lines is US Robotics....

Zoom comes in second...

The winmodem for both of them are as good as the
on board chip modems they carry....and are much
less expensive....you do need to update their
drivers if you get one.....(am talking their
v92 internal)...

Robotics...

http://www.usr.com/home.asp

Zoom.....

http://zoom.com/

good luck...sno

Fudge wrote:

> My telephone line is terrible. Lots of noise and hum and when it rains, the
> bit rate goes way down. I need the ultimate dial up modem. The best I can do
> is 26.4 Kbps with a Motorola modem. Units from Pine and Acer are about the
> same. Can anyone recommend the best modem for these condition?
>
> Farmer John

VWWall

w_tom wrote:
> Seek information on Shannon's Law. In simple terms, your
> signal in relation to your noise determines maximum bit rate.
> That fundamental fact should be well known and understood by
> everyone who replies to your question - because it is that
> fundamental to how modems work - and even why 56K modems only
> work at 53K max.

The limitation is caused by the signal power that the modem is
allowed to put on the phone line by FCC rules.

For a note on Shannon's work see:

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/ms/what/s...day/paper.html

I had the good fortune to be a very junior engineer at Bell Labs
when Claude was doing some of his best work. His wife-to-be, Betty
Moore, worked in the same department as I. She had many stories
about Claude's hobbies. He built a computer that took input and
produced output in Roman numerals. The memory, and the CPU, (not
called that at the time), were made up of multi-contact relays.
A "1" was a closed contact and a "0" was an open. The output was
displayed on modified "Nixie" tubes.

Virg Wall
--

It is vain to do with more
what can be done with fewer.

VWWall

Fudge wrote:

> My telephone line is terrible. Lots of noise and hum and when it rains, the
> bit rate goes way down. I need the ultimate dial up modem. The best I can do
> is 26.4 Kbps with a Motorola modem. Units from Pine and Acer are about the
> same. Can anyone recommend the best modem for these condition?
>
> Farmer John

I agree with Thor's recommendations. One problem with the USR5610 is
that it installs on com5 in Windows98. This can make its use for DOS
or Linux somewhat difficult. I get consistant connections at 45333.

Virg Wall
--

It is vain to do with more
what can be done with fewer.

Jerry G.

No matter how good the modem is, if the phone line has a fault, the modem is
never going to perform at its best. First get the phone line fixed, and then
use a good modem for reliability.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Fudge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ATYcc.31340$(E-Mail Removed) ...
My telephone line is terrible. Lots of noise and hum and when it rains, the
bit rate goes way down. I need the ultimate dial up modem. The best I can do
is 26.4 Kbps with a Motorola modem. Units from Pine and Acer are about the
same. Can anyone recommend the best modem for these condition?

Farmer John

Spajky

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:47:32 -0400, "Fudge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My telephone line is terrible.

Diamond Supra´s are IMHO best on bad lines if you can grab one!

--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:27:03 -0400, w_tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Seek information on Shannon's Law. In simple terms, your
>signal in relation to your noise determines maximum bit rate.
>That fundamental fact should be well known and understood by
>everyone who replies to your question - because it is that
>fundamental to how modems work - and even why 56K modems only
>work at 53K max.

56k modems work at 53k because of a government law, not Shannon's law.

> No magic modem is going to undermine that so famous and
>fundamental theory. Fix the lines. It's not difficult to
>keep lines dry and noise free. But moreso, you have no
>alternative due to limitations of Shannon's law.

Some modems deal with noise better than others. w_tom, as usual,
starts with a grain of truth and builds it into a pile of horseshit.

BB