Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Clipped file download speed...browser ok....

Reply
Thread Tools

Clipped file download speed...browser ok....

 
 
sno
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2004

Win98SE

I am a freeware junkie and download a lot of freeware to
try out...if it messes up my computer I have a good
backup always on hand to restore...

I just realized that when I try to download files they are
being clipped....I am not able to use all my bandwidth to
download...it does not matter where I download a file from...

I do not know when this happened as the backup I have does
not fix it...it must have been awhile...

Because of dirty lines I normally connect at 37K...I can
browse using all my bandwidth, but when I download a file
I am being clipped at 21K...if I browse while downloading
I can use the whole bandwidth...what I suspect is happening
is that my download port is being clipped...

Ran virus checks...and ad-aware.....restored tcp/ip...
using task info do not notice anything running in backround
that might be causing...

I do not know how port clipping occurs, so have no idea where
to go next.....

any help would be appreciated....thank you.....sno
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2004
sno <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I do not know how port clipping occurs, so have no idea where
> to go next.....


You actually don't have a clue what you are talking about. Just because
you can download at a set speed doesn't mean the server is going to send
data to you that fast. Are you saying you are downloading at only 2.63
KB/sec? Since you say you connect at 37K, I assume you are on dialup and
you mean 37,000 bps, which is 4.6 kilobytes (KB) per second. Getting 3KB
per second out of a max of 4.6 isn't really that bad, depending on the
server and route your machine is taking to get there.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
sno
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-08-2004


DeMoN LaG wrote:
>
> sno <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I do not know how port clipping occurs, so have no idea where
> > to go next.....

>
> You actually don't have a clue what you are talking about. Just because
> you can download at a set speed doesn't mean the server is going to send
> data to you that fast. Are you saying you are downloading at only 2.63
> KB/sec? Since you say you connect at 37K, I assume you are on dialup and
> you mean 37,000 bps, which is 4.6 kilobytes (KB) per second. Getting 3KB
> per second out of a max of 4.6 isn't really that bad, depending on the
> server and route your machine is taking to get there.


You are right...I do not know how my file download can be
clipped...and not my browser. except I know that the ports used for
ftp/download are different then those for browsing....

As you say, I presently connect generally at 4.6 KBytes per second...
and download at a clipped rate of 2.6 KBytes....I have put a monitor
program that monitors between my modem and computer and see a
flat topped download at about 2.6 KBytes.....
no matter who I am downloading from, nor what file I am downloading...

I see a flat topped graph that is about 3/4 the height of my connect
speed....it is not jagged like normal....extremely flat....and my
download program (Opera) shows 2.1 KBytes/sec...

In the past when I have monitored, I see a speed equal to, or a little
faster then my connect speed due to compression....when I am
downloading files...

thanks for you help......sorry I did not explain better......sno
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clipped descenders ato_zee@hotmail.com HTML 2 10-04-2006 04:10 AM
Control (in table cell) with a width of 100% causes the end of the control to be clipped - ASP.NET 2.0 jwwishart@gmail.com ASP .Net 0 06-21-2006 11:48 PM
Text is clipped. How can I fix this? zeyais@gmail.com HTML 1 02-06-2006 12:07 AM
D70 & Getting Clipped By A Model Airplane Propeller Dean S. Lautermilch«▓║║│ Digital Photography 3 12-25-2004 02:56 PM
Paint Clipped Graphics to BufferedImage Eric Dalquist Java 2 04-08-2004 01:43 PM



Advertisments