Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cheapest Router With Three Ethernets and Policy Based Routing

Cheapest Router With Three Ethernets and Policy Based Routing

CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

What is the cheapest Cisco router (current or discontinued) that supports
three 10/100 ethernets and policy based routing? I need to change the
destination route based on source IP address.

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
CHANGE USERNAME TO westes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:What is the cheapest Cisco router (current or discontinued) that supports
:three 10/100 ethernets and policy based routing? I need to change the
:destination route based on source IP address.

'supports' 10/100 at what throughput level?

You could get 3 100 Mbit interfaces by using a Cisco 1701 (one port
built in) and putting a WIC-4ESW four-port fast-ethernet switch
(switch!!) WIC into it. Or just use the 1711/1712 which is exactly
that design.

If you need the 3 interfaces to be on different subnets, then
you -might- be able to do a 1721 (one port built in) with
two of the WIC-4ESW, but the WIC-4ESW is not listed in the product
literature for the 1721. I believe the WIC-4ESW is relatively
new, and perhaps the literature has not caught up yet, but also
it could be that only the 1701, 1711 and 1712 support it -- it
isn't even listed in the compatibility matrix. And it wouldn't
surprise me if only one such WIC is supported in a device.

For full official support for 3 10/100 on different subnets, it
looks to me that you are into a 2691 or 3620 with NM-1FE2W or
NM-2FE2W. And if you want to be able to do wire speeds
on those FE's, then you are up into the higher end of the 36xx
series.

Or, you could just go for something like a Cat3550 Multilayer
Switch, which despite it's name really is a router with
(limited) PBR support.
--
Disobey all self-referential sentences!

John Llort

"CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the cheapest Cisco router (current or discontinued) that supports
> three 10/100 ethernets and policy based routing? I need to change the
> destination route based on source IP address.
>
> --
> Will
> westes AT earthbroadcast.com

How cheap???

CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

I went with the first poster's advise and bought a used 3620 with the two
ethernet ports for under $1K. That was cheap enough.

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

"John Llort" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brqgeb$6a5v6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > What is the cheapest Cisco router (current or discontinued) that

supports
> > three 10/100 ethernets and policy based routing? I need to change the
> > destination route based on source IP address.
> >
> > --
> > Will
> > westes AT earthbroadcast.com
> >

> How cheap???

John Llort

"CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I went with the first poster's advise and bought a used 3620 with the two
> ethernet ports for under $1K. That was cheap enough.
>
> --
> Will
> westes AT earthbroadcast.com

Not bad.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
CHANGE USERNAME TO westes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I went with the first poster's advise and bought a used 3620 with the two
:ethernet ports for under $1K. That was cheap enough.

Ohhh... looks like the 3620 has no built-in ethernet ports, so
to get 3 10/100 interfaces, you would need to use two NM-2FE2W-V2.
Which, fortunately, it does support. It appears that with the
original NM-2FE2W, you can only do 10 Mbit.

"For the NM-1FE2W-V2 and NM-2FE2W-V2 the minimum level IOS is 12.2(12)M
and 12.2(13)T."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/...0801aa71c.html

If you bought the 3620 used, it might well not have 12.2(13)T or later,
so unless you can update under one of the security advisories, you
could be in for a rough ride -- Cisco requires that used devices
be "relicensed" now before they will sell you an IOS update.
--
Look out, there are llamas!

CHANGE USERNAME TO westes

Thanks, this will help navigate things quite a bit.

Cisco makes it so painful to support used equipment that it is cheaper for
me to buy two used products and obtain support elsewhere.

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

news:brqhkf$dgc$(E-Mail Removed)...