Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Sharing an Transact connection

Sharing an Transact connection

my name

I am after advise on sharing a TRANSACT connection at home.

I would like to be able to share the Internet connection with more than
1 computers, preferably with wireless technology.

Can someone advise what sort of hardware are required? The PC will be
running Win XP and 2000, maybe a Win98 laptop (But if the operating
system is an issue, it can all be upgraded to W2000 or XP.

If not running Wireless, what hardware are required?

Many thanks in advance.

Computer Doctor

Good day My Name. Well to answer your question you will need a computer
running XP Pro or Win2K Pro. If you are going WiFi you will need wireless
ethernet adapters, WiFi router, and WiFi access points if needed. When
buying the adapters you need to make sure that the adapters are set for your
network. Meaning; 802.11a, 802.11b, or 802.11g adapters for the WiFi router
you are buying. Going wired 10/100 Ethernet adapters will do. Search on
GOOGLE for prices on these items. And I would NOT run Win98 on my WiFi
network due to security issues. Now when setting up your network either
wired or wireless the primary PC MUST BE Win2K Pro or XP Pro operating
systems. Win98 you will have to install Internet Sharing Connection on the
Win98 OS. And that should do it. Have Fun!!

Wizard

As usual, this is mostly nonsense.

Computer Doctor wrote:

> Good day My Name. Well to answer your question you will need a computer
> running XP Pro or Win2K Pro. If you are going WiFi you will need wireless
> ethernet adapters, WiFi router, and WiFi access points if needed. When
> buying the adapters you need to make sure that the adapters are set for your
> network. Meaning; 802.11a, 802.11b, or 802.11g adapters for the WiFi router
> you are buying. Going wired 10/100 Ethernet adapters will do. Search on
> GOOGLE for prices on these items. And I would NOT run Win98 on my WiFi
> network due to security issues. Now when setting up your network either
> wired or wireless the primary PC MUST BE Win2K Pro or XP Pro operating
> systems. Win98 you will have to install Internet Sharing Connection on the
> Win98 OS. And that should do it. Have Fun!!

DeMoN LaG

Wizard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4071AE41.46688E45
@stinking.ads.com:

> As usual, this is mostly nonsense.

Entirely agreed. You don't need Windows 2000 Pro or XP Pro to use Internet
Connection Sharing and share a net connection. 98SE will do fine, so will
ME. Security issues with using 98 on a wireless network? No less secure
than using 2000 on a wireless network.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Computer Doctor

You guys know nothing about networking when it comes to Microsoft operating
systems. You should not or even recommend doing internet sharing with Win98
or ME with WiFi. You can place the best Firewall software within the
operating system and it will not protect against hackers I agree. And
further more Microsoft states in a TechNet article WHEN STARTING INTERNET
SHARING THE MAIN PC OS MUST BE WINDOWS 2000 OR WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL!
Bottom line! So before you guys start giving advise on something you think
you know READ about it first.

Plato

Computer Doctor wrote:

> You guys know nothing about networking when it comes to Microsoft operating

Lookup in your phone book:

Computers | Service | Repair And Service to fix your problem.

as you need lots of help.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Oldus Fartus

Computer Doctor wrote:

> You guys know nothing about networking when it comes to Microsoft operating
> systems. You should not or even recommend doing internet sharing with Win98
> or ME with WiFi. You can place the best Firewall software within the
> operating system and it will not protect against hackers I agree. And
> further more Microsoft states in a TechNet article WHEN STARTING INTERNET
> SHARING THE MAIN PC OS MUST BE WINDOWS 2000 OR WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL!
> Bottom line! So before you guys start giving advise on something you think
> you know READ about it first.

And before you give advice on what can and can not work, get a bit of
experience in the field.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus