Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Quick soundcard question

Quick soundcard question

John H. Power

I just put a Soundblaster Audiology into my Sony and disabled the on
board sound. I did not connect the DVD-DW and DVD-ROM drives to the
card with the cabling but CDs still play from them. Is there a reason
why they give you those little connecting wires even though you get
sound from these drives without doing that? Is the sound quality
better if you use these cables?

Thanks

John H. Power

Thor

"John H. Power" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just put a Soundblaster Audiology into my Sony and disabled the on
> board sound. I did not connect the DVD-DW and DVD-ROM drives to the
> card with the cabling but CDs still play from them. Is there a reason
> why they give you those little connecting wires even though you get
> sound from these drives without doing that? Is the sound quality
> better if you use these cables?

Not all versions of windows or CD player applications support digital audio
playback. Prior to Media Player 7, the analog audio cable was required to
get CD audio to the sound card for amplification, and output to speakers, or
headphones. Around 1999-2000, Media Player 7 (and also WinME with MP7
integrated) brought support for digital playback, which meant that the CPU
and software took the raw digital audio data stream from the CDROM drive via
the IDE cable, and sent the necessary data to the sound card via WAV out,
where it was processed and sent to your speakers. This puts more burden on
the CPU, but the result can be a cleaner output because the sound travels to
the sound card digitally, rather than through a noisy analog cable. Digital
playback can be disabled/enabled in the CDROM settings in WindowsXP, and in
Media Player settings in Win9x versions of windows with MP7. Disabling it
will cause the system to rely on the analog cable for CD audio playback. I
would surmise that use of the analog audio cable will eventually disappear,
since digital playback is pretty much the norm these days.

Michael-NC

You only need the cable if you use the headphone jack on your drive. All
sound data is handled digitally.

"John H. Power" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just put a Soundblaster Audiology into my Sony and disabled the on
> board sound. I did not connect the DVD-DW and DVD-ROM drives to the
> card with the cabling but CDs still play from them. Is there a reason
> why they give you those little connecting wires even though you get
> sound from these drives without doing that? Is the sound quality
> better if you use these cables?
>
> Thanks
>
> John H. Power

Thor

You don't even need the internal analog cable for that, as all the D/A
processing and amplification happens inside the drive for that connection.
The internal audio cable is only for getting the analog sound to the
soundcard when digital playback is not used, or supported. It's not used for
getting sound to the CDROM's front panel headphone jack. That all happens
internally in the drive itself. You just need to have digital audio playback
disabled for the front jack to work in many cases. The cable has nothing to
do with it.

"Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Tj0cc.48906$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> You only need the cable if you use the headphone jack on your drive. All
> sound data is handled digitally.
>
> "John H. Power" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I just put a Soundblaster Audiology into my Sony and disabled the on
> > board sound. I did not connect the DVD-DW and DVD-ROM drives to the
> > card with the cabling but CDs still play from them. Is there a reason
> > why they give you those little connecting wires even though you get
> > sound from these drives without doing that? Is the sound quality
> > better if you use these cables?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > John H. Power

John H. Power

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 21:03:46 -0400, "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You don't even need the internal analog cable for that, as all the D/A
>processing and amplification happens inside the drive for that connection.
>The internal audio cable is only for getting the analog sound to the
>soundcard when digital playback is not used, or supported. It's not used for
>getting sound to the CDROM's front panel headphone jack. That all happens
>internally in the drive itself. You just need to have digital audio playback
>disabled for the front jack to work in many cases. The cable has nothing to
>do with it.
>

>..
>"Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:Tj0cc.48906$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> You only need the cable if you use the headphone jack on your drive. All
>> sound data is handled digitally.
>>
>> "John H. Power" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I just put a Soundblaster Audiology into my Sony and disabled the on
>> > board sound. I did not connect the DVD-DW and DVD-ROM drives to the
>> > card with the cabling but CDs still play from them. Is there a reason
>> > why they give you those little connecting wires even though you get
>> > sound from these drives without doing that? Is the sound quality
>> > better if you use these cables?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > John H. Power

And thanks for the short course on sound card cabling...

Quick question, hopefully quick answer. ~misfit~ NZ Computing 114 01-06-2005 01:36 PM
Line-In On Soundcard Question, And Volume Control Quest's In General Robert11 Computer Support 1 12-28-2004 01:53 PM
Quick Question Quick Answer JKop C++ 11 05-24-2004 09:46 PM
Quick Restore for a Compaq not so quick! Croos Bustamunky Computer Support 2 05-15-2004 04:17 AM

Advertisments