Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > dvd on cd rom

dvd on cd rom

mr_vocab

a computer teacher at my school said that it is possiable to view burnt
files on a dvd on a cd rom ... is this possiable??? maybe with software???
cause when i tried it, it didnt work

Thank you
Nathan

DeMoN LaG

"mr_vocab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:406f7826$(E-Mail Removed):

> a computer teacher at my school said that it is possiable to view
> burnt files on a dvd on a cd rom ... is this possiable??? maybe with
> software??? cause when i tried it, it didnt work

You must have computer teachers like my bosses (I am a network technician
for a couple of districts right now). Computer teachers don't generally
know anything, otherwise they'd be in the field instead of teaching. DVDs
and CDs use different wavelengths, as such a CDROM drive (or CDR/CDRW
drive) can't possible read anything from a DVD. It probably won't even
recognize a disc is in there.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Thor

The reason it didn't work is because your computer teacher is either flat
wrong, or you misunderstood him in some way. CDROM discs, and DVD discs
require drives to use lasers at very different wavelengths. You cannot read
files from a DVD in a CDROM drive. DVD-ROM drives can read CDs because they
are designed to read using *multiple* laser wavelengths. The backward
compatibility is deliberately designed into the DVD-ROM drive to make it
possible to read the two different types of discs. CDROM drives aren't
designed to be compatible with DVDs, and their technologies are sufficiently
different that you can't just get lucky and have a CDROM drive that happens
to read DVDs. The laser wavelength used is very different. Different enough
that such dumb luck simply cannot happen. It would have to be a designed-in
feature. And at that point, the drive would no longer be a CDROM drive. It
would be a DVD-ROM drive.

"mr_vocab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:406f7826$(E-Mail Removed)...
> a computer teacher at my school said that it is possiable to view burnt
> files on a dvd on a cd rom ... is this possiable??? maybe with software???
> cause when i tried it, it didnt work
>
> Thank you
> Nathan

Oldus Fartus

mr_vocab wrote:

> a computer teacher at my school said that it is possiable to view burnt
> files on a dvd on a cd rom ... is this possiable??? maybe with software???
> cause when i tried it, it didnt work
>
> Thank you
> Nathan

Probably your teacher is referring to "mini-dvds" where the dvd file
types and directory structure are burned to CD. Obviously only short
movies can be burned in this way.

Sounds like he may have described it badly to you, or you weren't really
paying attention.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus