Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > data transfer from old hdd to new large hdd:

data transfer from old hdd to new large hdd:

Martin

Copy disk

I have a Maxtor ATA hard drive, 30GB. I purchased a Maxtor SATA hard
drive, 160GB. I want to transfer all files and settings to the new
Maxtor. I used the Maxtor Utility but the computer still needs the old
Maxtor to boot up. Is there an easy fix to this?

Sincerely,
Martin

HF

Put the new drive in as slave. The Maxtor software will show you how to do
the rest I assume you have downloaded the Maxtor software to a
floppy.If you havent then go to the Maxtor website and do it.
"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CN3bc.3039$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com...
> Copy disk
>
> I have a Maxtor ATA hard drive, 30GB. I purchased a Maxtor SATA hard
> drive, 160GB. I want to transfer all files and settings to the new
> Maxtor. I used the Maxtor Utility but the computer still needs the old
> Maxtor to boot up. Is there an easy fix to this?
>
> Sincerely,
> Martin

---

HF

Yes you put the old drive in as master drive and add the new one as slave.
You may have to change the settings on the old drive when it is in a dual
setup but you can check this easily.Now use the Maxtor utility (if you have
the right one -if not go to the Maxtor website to download ).The Maxtor gear
will partition and format and will copy all of the stuff on the old drive to
the new one.NOW change the new drive to a master drive and make the other
one the slave.Now simply delete the OS on the old drive. Also whatever else
you dont want.If in doubt go to www.computerhope.com
"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CN3bc.3039$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com...
> Copy disk
>
> I have a Maxtor ATA hard drive, 30GB. I purchased a Maxtor SATA hard
> drive, 160GB. I want to transfer all files and settings to the new
> Maxtor. I used the Maxtor Utility but the computer still needs the old
> Maxtor to boot up. Is there an easy fix to this?
>
> Sincerely,
> Martin

---

HF

Put the old drive in as master and the new drive as slave. The old drive may
have differemnt setings in a dual situation so check. Now use the Maxtor
drive instal software to partition and format the new drive. Next copy the
old contents to the new drive. Now change the jumpers so that the NEW drive
is master and the OLD is now slave. Boot up and delete the OS on the old
drive. Delete anything else you dont want. If stuck go to
www.computerhope.com You will find full info on the Maxtor website as
well as instal software.!!!!@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:CN3bc.3039$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com...
> Copy disk
>
> I have a Maxtor ATA hard drive, 30GB. I purchased a Maxtor SATA hard
> drive, 160GB. I want to transfer all files and settings to the new
> Maxtor. I used the Maxtor Utility but the computer still needs the old
> Maxtor to boot up. Is there an easy fix to this?
>
> Sincerely,
> Martin

---

Martin

Iíve used the Maxtor program that Iíve downloaded, with little success.
The partitioning and formatting seems to go fine. The next process of
copying files to the new hard drive seems to go on. Later, a black
screen shows up. I can see the new HDD in ďmy computerĒ but no size or
free space shows up there. Iíve also attempted to use ďutilitiesĒ drive
to drive partition copy, with no success. Iíve given up! Iím going to
do a Windows XP install on the new drive and restore the files from
backups. This will be more work but not much more than all the time
that Iíve already wasted. Thanks for the suggestions.

HF wrote:
> Put the old drive in as master and the new drive as slave. The old drive may
> have differemnt setings in a dual situation so check. Now use the Maxtor
> drive instal software to partition and format the new drive. Next copy the
> old contents to the new drive. Now change the jumpers so that the NEW drive
> is master and the OLD is now slave. Boot up and delete the OS on the old
> drive. Delete anything else you dont want. If stuck go to
> www.computerhope.com You will find full info on the Maxtor website as
> well as instal software.!!!!@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:CN3bc.3039$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com...
>
>>Copy disk
>>
>>I have a Maxtor ATA hard drive, 30GB. I purchased a Maxtor SATA hard
>>drive, 160GB. I want to transfer all files and settings to the new
>>Maxtor. I used the Maxtor Utility but the computer still needs the old
>>Maxtor to boot up. Is there an easy fix to this?
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>Martin
>>

> ---

Thor

Do you know whether your motherboard supports a drive that large? Many top
out at 137GB because they lack support for 48bit LBA. Also, WinXP SP1 is
required for support of drives over 137GB.

news:mk2cc.5101$(E-Mail Removed) .rogers.com...