Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > new power supply and problems

new power supply and problems

joaquino

What kind of bad stuff can happen to other components of a pc if the power
supply dies? Mine died and I put a new one in, but now get "cmos memory
size wrong". Changed the battery and cleared cmos, but still just hangs.
any thoughts?
thanks

Todd Howard

I have seen a crappy PS kill a motherboard, ram, cpu and HD.......(all @
once)
Not saying thats what happened to yours, but I have seen it......thats when
I started buying "good" power supplies, like Enermax or Antec......
TH
"joaquino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NOLac.4171$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> What kind of bad stuff can happen to other components of a pc if the power
> supply dies? Mine died and I put a new one in, but now get "cmos memory
> size wrong". Changed the battery and cleared cmos, but still just hangs.
> any thoughts?
> thanks

---

Thor

They can take out pretty much everything.

"joaquino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NOLac.4171$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> What kind of bad stuff can happen to other components of a pc if the power
> supply dies? Mine died and I put a new one in, but now get "cmos memory
> size wrong". Changed the battery and cleared cmos, but still just hangs.
> any thoughts?
> thanks

DeMoN LaG

"joaquino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:NOLac.4171$(E-Mail Removed) m:

> What kind of bad stuff can happen to other components of a pc if the
> power supply dies? Mine died and I put a new one in, but now get
> "cmos memory size wrong". Changed the battery and cleared cmos, but
> still just hangs. any thoughts?

If the PS goes, it can (and most of the time will) take anything and
everything attached to it, including but not limited to the motherboard,
CPU, hard drives, RAM, or expansion cards.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

w_tom

No power supply, properly designed, will damage other
computer components. But that assumes the assembler had basic
knowledge; does not just buy power supplies on price. Because
so many North American computer experts don't even have basic
electrical knowledge, assumption is 'acceptable and normal'
for power supplies to damage other components. Yes, it is
acceptable when power supplies are missing functions that were
defacto standard even 30 years ago. If power supply damages
computer, then failure is directly traceable to the human who
bought or installed that completely unacceptable supply.

Question simplifies down to, "Will this one power supply
damage the computer?" What do the specifications say? Does
it specifically claim to have overvoltage protection? If that
power supply does not provide detailed specifications, then
what are they hiding? Probably hiding that supply violates
even Intel requirements.

Again, a supply that meets 30 year old defacto standards and
Intel requirements will not damage computer components. Where
are the specs for that supply - or was it another '$45
wonder' dumped into America because some Americans buy on
price rather than first learn basic principles?

joaquino wrote:
> What kind of bad stuff can happen to other components of a pc if
> the power supply dies? Mine died and I put a new one in, but now
> get "cmos memory size wrong". Changed the battery and cleared
> cmos, but still just hangs. any thoughts?
> thanks

Kamakazee

In Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>w_tom wrote:

> No power supply, properly designed,

[...snip]

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....