Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Mcaffe VirusScan 8.0

Mcaffe VirusScan 8.0

mfrumkin

My daughter downloaded something evil onto her laptop and I need to
do a reinstall. She is using Mcafee Virus Scan 8.0 that I purchased
from their online store. When I went online to download and
reinstall that portion was grayed out. I called Mcafee to get the
proper link to reinstall. I have now been on the phone, primarily
with Manila, for the last 3 hours attempting to get the download
link. They are very polite and totally unhelpful. They can find my
accouny but cannot figure out how to send me a link. I am going to
eat the money I paid Mcafee and look for a different virus scan
product.

I have used Norton in the past and been satisfied. Is Norton still a
good product? Any others? I will never ever use McAfee again.

Mike

bearman

"mfrumkin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QK82c.20809$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> My daughter downloaded something evil onto her laptop and I need to
> do a reinstall. She is using Mcafee Virus Scan 8.0 that I purchased
> from their online store. When I went online to download and
> reinstall that portion was grayed out. I called Mcafee to get the
> proper link to reinstall. I have now been on the phone, primarily
> with Manila, for the last 3 hours attempting to get the download
> link. They are very polite and totally unhelpful. They can find my
> accouny but cannot figure out how to send me a link. I am going to
> eat the money I paid Mcafee and look for a different virus scan
> product.
>
> I have used Norton in the past and been satisfied. Is Norton still a
> good product? Any others? I will never ever use McAfee again.
>
> Mike

I put Norton AV 2004 on my 98SE machine and everything slowed way down.
Uninstalled it and reinstalled it and the same thing happened. I took it
off and now I'm looking for an antivirus. I'm going to Google "antivirus
programs" and see what's out there.

Bearman

Sue Hathcock

AVG at www.grisoft.com is a very good free program. I have used it over 2
years and never had a problem.

Sue

"bearman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"mfrumkin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QK82c.20809$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> My daughter downloaded something evil onto her laptop and I need to
> do a reinstall. She is using Mcafee Virus Scan 8.0 that I purchased
> from their online store. When I went online to download and
> reinstall that portion was grayed out. I called Mcafee to get the
> proper link to reinstall. I have now been on the phone, primarily
> with Manila, for the last 3 hours attempting to get the download
> link. They are very polite and totally unhelpful. They can find my
> accouny but cannot figure out how to send me a link. I am going to
> eat the money I paid Mcafee and look for a different virus scan
> product.
>
> I have used Norton in the past and been satisfied. Is Norton still a
> good product? Any others? I will never ever use McAfee again.
>
> Mike

I put Norton AV 2004 on my 98SE machine and everything slowed way down.
Uninstalled it and reinstalled it and the same thing happened. I took it
off and now I'm looking for an antivirus. I'm going to Google "antivirus
programs" and see what's out there.

Bearman

---

bambam

"bearman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "mfrumkin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:QK82c.20809$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
>> My daughter downloaded something evil onto her laptop and I need
>> to do a reinstall. She is using Mcafee Virus Scan 8.0 that I
>> purchased from their online store. When I went online to download
>> and reinstall that portion was grayed out. I called Mcafee to get
>> the proper link to reinstall. I have now been on the phone,
>> primarily with Manila, for the last 3 hours attempting to get the
>> download link. They are very polite and totally unhelpful. They
>> can find my accouny but cannot figure out how to send me a link.
>> I am going to eat the money I paid Mcafee and look for a
>> different virus scan product.
>>
>> I have used Norton in the past and been satisfied. Is Norton
>> still a good product? Any others? I will never ever use McAfee
>> again.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> I put Norton AV 2004 on my 98SE machine and everything slowed way
> down. Uninstalled it and reinstalled it and the same thing
> happened. I took it off and now I'm looking for an antivirus.
> I'm going to Google "antivirus programs" and see what's out there.

Hi guys, you might like to have a look here-

http://www.pricelessware.org/2004/PL...htm#Anti-Virus

I personally use AVG on both WinXP & Win98se, an excellent program.

What is Pricelessware?

The Pricelessware List reflects the programs favored by participants
in the alt.comp.freeware newsgroup ; it is not an exhaustive list of
the best available Freeware. Most of the listings are well-known
programs, but there are some hard-to-find goodies to be discovered.
Although most categories will list only 1 or 2 selections, a few will
list 3-4 programs.

--
Generally speaking, you aren't learning much when your mouth is
moving.

Thor

I don't recommend Norton or Mcafee to my customers anymore. Too inconsistent
in their reliability and stability from version to version IMHO, and I've
seen too many installation issues from Norton especially of late. I highly
recommend E-Trust from Computer Associates. Unintrusive, easy to use, and
far less invasive to the system in my experience than the bloatware that
Norton or Mcafee have become.
http://www.my-etrust.com/products/Antivirus.cfm .