Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Auto Connection

Auto Connection

Plato

Thor wrote:

> I've not seen a DSL connection that required one to "dial" anything at all.
> All the DSL providers in my area are "always on". There is no login process
> required. You start your browser, and that's all that is needed. Works just
> like cable broadband in my area.

verizon dsl in my area and from the new york pcs I play with require you
to his this "winpoet" icon in the tray first before you hit the browser.
Of course this could have changed recently.

Plato

Global_Killa wrote:

> What is it then? It only takes like a second to dial. And my connection says
> its broadband, my ISP says its broadband, and my installation for my
> broadband modem, and ISP setup says its broadband....

dsl broadband I believe since you have to hit an icon. The icon is in
the tray right?

Thor

> The main concern...and main problem...is whether or not the OS
> supports PPPoE. Customers running 98 and prior without a router are
> forced to install the ISP's software...which can be configured to
> instant access...or not.

This isn't the case with Sprint DSL in my area. I've set up numerous win98
machines (w/no router) for it, and no ISP software was required at all,
other than the CD that walks you through the setup process. The first time I
did it, I expected to have to install Winpoet or something similar, but the
setup instructions stated that nothing of the sort was required. The DSL
modems they provide handle all the necessary PPPoE connection and user login
information, and it's stored on the modem itself during the initial setup
phase, by the setup program on the CD. On the PC end, it's just like any
other cable modem, and you just set the PC to DHCP acquisition, and you're
done. It's very easy to set up.

Trent©

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 08:23:08 -0500, "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> The main concern...and main problem...is whether or not the OS
>> supports PPPoE. Customers running 98 and prior without a router are
>> forced to install the ISP's software...which can be configured to
>> instant access...or not.

>This isn't the case with Sprint DSL in my area. I've set up numerous win98
>machines (w/no router) for it, and no ISP software was required at all,
>other than the CD that walks you through the setup process. The first time I
>did it, I expected to have to install Winpoet or something similar, but the
>setup instructions stated that nothing of the sort was required. The DSL
>modems they provide handle all the necessary PPPoE connection and user login
>information, and it's stored on the modem itself during the initial setup
>phase, by the setup program on the CD. On the PC end, it's just like any
>other cable modem, and you just set the PC to DHCP acquisition, and you're
>done. It's very easy to set up.

I'm not sure where we're goin' with this. I think we're in
agreement...just lookin' at it with different perspectives. lol

98 and prior does not support PPPoE. So, if someone is usin' 98, its
been installed on the computer...or the router (pseudo computer) has
it. I have no idea how those modems you speak of actually work,
obviously.

At any rate, for some customers connectivity is not
automatic...depending on their options preference. They click on an
icon to get Internet access...and then click again to disconnect.

For new customers with 98, I usually give them a free 2-port
router...which always includes PPPoE connectivity. It saves the time
and complications necessary to install the ISP's software.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Thor

> I'm not sure where we're goin' with this. I think we're in
> agreement...just lookin' at it with different perspectives. lol

Just thought you might find it interesting. You never know, you might
encounter a setup like this in the future.

> 98 and prior does not support PPPoE. So, if someone is usin' 98, its
> been installed on the computer...or the router (pseudo computer) has
> it. I have no idea how those modems you speak of actually work,
> obviously.

Yes, in this case no PPPoE program is required in 98. The DSL modems
themselves handle everything, and to the PC they act just like a regular
cable modem. The Sprint setup CD merely has you enter your account username
and password, and this is written into flash memory in the DSL modem (or you
can telnet into the modem's setup config and set it thusly). From that point
forward, the modem itself automatically authenticates you with the service,
and it is an always-on connection. Even if you use a router in conjunction
with one of these, you don't use the PPPoE support in the router's
configuration settings. You set it up just like you would with most cable
modems. Which the default config usually does the trick nicely. Sprint made
it insanely easy to deal with. Sprint DSL in my area provides business
accounts with a combo DSL modem w/ built-in router, and home customers with
a plain DSL modem. Neither one requires PPPoE software on Win98, nor PPPoE
settings in WinXP. As I said, the first time I set one of these up a couple
years ago, I fully expected to need WinPoet for the 98 boxes at least. I was
pleasantly surprised to find out differently.

> At any rate, for some customers connectivity is not
> automatic...depending on their options preference. They click on an
> icon to get Internet access...and then click again to disconnect.

I didn't dispute that. That's why I said "In my area" it's not like that.