Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Spyware or Virus or Not to Worry

Spyware or Virus or Not to Worry

Dave Skipper

My ISP changed my news server to Giganews. Since then, I've been
prompted to enter my user ID then password. I do it once, then I'm
prompted again, as if it didn't work the first time. When I visit
groups I've been at, I'm not prompted but new groups I've visited since
the inception of Giganews prompt me. I don't think it's a big deal and
is normal but I'm bothered by what I found in start/run/msconfig/startup.

I found this item checked: c:\windows\temp\eacdownload\raven_def -k. I
haven't found much on the web anywhere about this but have seen a
reference to spyware. Does anybody know what this is?

Thor

It's part of EAnthology software and it it comes with spyware. Uninstall the
EAnthology stuff, and it should go away, but also scan your system with
Spybot ot Adaware.

"Dave Skipper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My ISP changed my news server to Giganews. Since then, I've been
> prompted to enter my user ID then password. I do it once, then I'm
> prompted again, as if it didn't work the first time. When I visit
> groups I've been at, I'm not prompted but new groups I've visited since
> the inception of Giganews prompt me. I don't think it's a big deal and
> is normal but I'm bothered by what I found in start/run/msconfig/startup.
>
> I found this item checked: c:\windows\temp\eacdownload\raven_def -k. I
> haven't found much on the web anywhere about this but have seen a
> reference to spyware. Does anybody know what this is?

DeMoN LaG

Dave Skipper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:VsOdnQ3FyOI-UNXdRVn-

> I don't think it's a big deal and
> is normal

It's a flaw in how Mozilla handles newsgroups. Since you appear to be
using a Mozilla build from June 2003 (20030624, to be exact), you may want
to remove Mozilla and install Mozilla FireFox (a dedicated web browser,
built off of Mozilla) and Mozilla Thunderbird (which is a dedicated
mail/news client based off of Mozilla). Both are far better than the
Mozilla application suite is.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Trent©

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:53:08 -0500, Dave Skipper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My ISP changed my news server to Giganews. Since then, I've been
>prompted to enter my user ID then password. I do it once, then I'm
>prompted again, as if it didn't work the first time. When I visit
>groups I've been at, I'm not prompted but new groups I've visited since
>the inception of Giganews prompt me. I don't think it's a big deal and
>is normal but I'm bothered by what I found in start/run/msconfig/startup.

What news reader are you usin'?

>I found this item checked: c:\windows\temp\eacdownload\raven_def -k. I
>haven't found much on the web anywhere about this but have seen a
>reference to spyware. Does anybody know what this is?

Spyware. Download and install Ad-Aware.

Have a nice week...

Trent

DeMoN LaG

Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> What news reader are you usin'?

He has this in his headers:

Is that a hint?

--

DeMoN LaG wrote:

>Dave Skipper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:VsOdnQ3FyOI-UNXdRVn-
>(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> I don't think it's a big deal and
>>is normal
>>

>It's a flaw in how Mozilla handles newsgroups. Since you appear to be
>using a Mozilla build from June 2003 (20030624, to be exact), you may want
>to remove Mozilla and install Mozilla FireFox (a dedicated web browser,
>built off of Mozilla) and Mozilla Thunderbird (which is a dedicated
>mail/news client based off of Mozilla). Both are far better than the
>Mozilla application suite is.

Thanks for the advice.

Trent©

On 06 Mar 2004 05:29:11 GMT, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> What news reader are you usin'?
>>

>He has this in his headers:
>
>Is that a hint?

Hint? Sure.

But then I'd hafta ask...

Are you now posting from the machine that yer talkin' about?

Have a nice week...

Trent