Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > winxp-specific BIOS?

winxp-specific BIOS?

Funseeker

Have been trying to install win98/win98SE on a system that originally
had WINxp(and which therefore caused me an ocean of trouble).
Every time I'm told that NDIS-file/program fails in working properly,
and thus cannot start windows(this is after the installation is all
but complete, which is why it is particularly annoying)
Why is this? Can it be fixed? Is it my installation-CD that's faulty?
my harddrive? leftover XP-files causing a riot? What?

Thanks In Advance, guys. Take it away...

DeMoN LaG

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Funseeker) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> but complete, which is why it is particularly annoying)
> Why is this? Can it be fixed? Is it my installation-CD that's faulty?
> my harddrive? leftover XP-files causing a riot? What?

Have you checked your hardware is Windows 98 compatibile?

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

mark mandel

"Funseeker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Have been trying to install win98/win98SE on a system that originally
> had WINxp(and which therefore caused me an ocean of trouble).
> Every time I'm told that NDIS-file/program fails in working properly,
> and thus cannot start windows(this is after the installation is all
> but complete, which is why it is particularly annoying)
> Why is this? Can it be fixed? Is it my installation-CD that's faulty?
> my harddrive? leftover XP-files causing a riot? What?
>

> Thanks In Advance, guys. Take it away...

This could be related to problems with the Ethernet card in that system. Go
to the Device Manager in safe mode, remove it and reboot.

derek / nul

I hope you formatted first?

On 5 Mar 2004 04:11:11 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Funseeker) wrote:

>Have been trying to install win98/win98SE on a system that originally
>had WINxp(and which therefore caused me an ocean of trouble).
>Every time I'm told that NDIS-file/program fails in working properly,
>and thus cannot start windows(this is after the installation is all
>but complete, which is why it is particularly annoying)
>Why is this? Can it be fixed? Is it my installation-CD that's faulty?
>my harddrive? leftover XP-files causing a riot? What?
>

>Thanks In Advance, guys. Take it away...

Trent©

On 5 Mar 2004 04:11:11 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Funseeker) wrote:

>Have been trying to install win98/win98SE on a system that originally
>had WINxp(and which therefore caused me an ocean of trouble).
>Every time I'm told that NDIS-file/program fails in working properly,
>and thus cannot start windows(this is after the installation is all
>but complete, which is why it is particularly annoying)
>Why is this?

You probably have a residue of NTFS on the drive. Repartition and
reformat with a DOS disk.

>Can it be fixed?

Yup...per above.

>Is it my installation-CD that's faulty?

No.

>my harddrive? leftover XP-files causing a riot?

Yup.

Have a nice week...

Trent

DeMoN LaG

Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> You probably have a residue of NTFS on the drive. Repartition and
> reformat with a DOS disk.

Explain this please. If the drive was partitioned and formatted with NTFS,
Windows 98 would not even recognize the partition and give it a drive
letter, much less install to it.

--

On 06 Mar 2004 05:27:20 GMT, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> You probably have a residue of NTFS on the drive. Repartition and
>> reformat with a DOS disk.

>Explain this please. If the drive was partitioned and formatted with NTFS,
>Windows 98 would not even recognize the partition and give it a drive
>letter, much less install to it.

Residue.

Are you looking for a correct answer from me ALL the time?! If I get
THAT good, what would we do with Thor??!!! lol

Have a nice week...

Trent

DeMoN LaG

Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Residue.

There is no such thing. If you don't know, just don't answer, instead of
coming up with some stupid off the top of your head stuff that you made up.

--

On 07 Mar 2004 00:44:05 GMT, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> Residue.
>>

>There is no such thing. If you don't know, just don't answer, instead of
>coming up with some stupid off the top of your head stuff that you made up.

Sorry...but I don't let kids tell me what to do.

Have a nice week...

Trent