Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Will a true USB 2 port run my Firelite

Will a true USB 2 port run my Firelite

johnpower@verobeachlaw.com

I have a 40 gig Firelite USB 2.0 powered hard drive. Beautiful.
Everyone should have one. I wan t the 80. I also have a Sony
notebook that is about 2 years old. When I hook up the Firelite it
runs it but at USB 1.1. speed. OK for word processing but my videos
are jerky. I got a 2.0 card and it still won't run at 2.0 speed (the
drive's light is green at 1.1 and purple at 2.0) I do not want to
have to resort to an external power supply. If I got a new notebook
with USB 2 ports built in, do you think that will run the drive at 2.0
speed?

Thanks

Michael-NC

Absolutely. Just be sure you have true USB 2.0 ports on the new lapper.

"The marketing folks have renamed the two flavors of USB. USB 1.1 is now USB
Full Speed, and USB 2.0 is now USB High Speed (or Hi-Speed). If a
manufacturer passes the USB compliance test for either standard (and ponies
up $1500), they can display the "Certified USB" logo on their products. The
USB 2.0/High Speed logo is shown at the beginning of this article. To make
things that much more confusing, the logo license also refers to USB
2.0/High Speed as "Basic Speed," and there are references to "Low Speed USB"
as well. Sheesh. Nevertheless, by the end of 2002, most if not all new PCs
will be USB 2.0-compliant."

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a 40 gig Firelite USB 2.0 powered hard drive. Beautiful.
> Everyone should have one. I wan t the 80. I also have a Sony
> notebook that is about 2 years old. When I hook up the Firelite it
> runs it but at USB 1.1. speed. OK for word processing but my videos
> are jerky. I got a 2.0 card and it still won't run at 2.0 speed (the
> drive's light is green at 1.1 and purple at 2.0) I do not want to
> have to resort to an external power supply. If I got a new notebook
> with USB 2 ports built in, do you think that will run the drive at 2.0
> speed?
>
> Thanks

johnpower@verobeachlaw.com

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 01:34:52 GMT, "Michael-NC"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Absolutely. Just be sure you have true USB 2.0 ports on the new lapper.
>
>"The marketing folks have renamed the two flavors of USB. USB 1.1 is now USB
>Full Speed, and USB 2.0 is now USB High Speed (or Hi-Speed). If a
>manufacturer passes the USB compliance test for either standard (and ponies
>up $1500), they can display the "Certified USB" logo on their products. The
>USB 2.0/High Speed logo is shown at the beginning of this article. To make
>things that much more confusing, the logo license also refers to USB
>2.0/High Speed as "Basic Speed," and there are references to "Low Speed USB"
>as well. Sheesh. Nevertheless, by the end of 2002, most if not all new PCs
>will be USB 2.0-compliant."

Thanks, but we are past "the end of 2002"