Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Borrowing someone else's XP disc - some questions

Borrowing someone else's XP disc - some questions

Gary Glencross

Don't all gasp at the one time.

I have a legitimate preinstalled copy of Windows XP on my computer. Recently
the machine ran out of hard disk space when I was downloading stuff
overnight. It then wiped all my Restore points and did funny things to the
machine.

I wrote in here a couple of weeks ago for advice on how to fix this. It was
suggested I get a hold of an XP disk from the manufacturer (the disk I have
is simply one that will wipe and reset everything) and install XP again over
my installation.

A friend has an XP disk. Can I use his for this purpose and input my own
serial number when (and I assume it will) the installation asks for my code?

Any replies welcome.

Thanks

DeMoN LaG

"Gary Glencross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c27l7n$13g$(E-Mail Removed):

> A friend has an XP disk. Can I use his for this purpose and input my
> own serial number when (and I assume it will) the installation asks
> for my code?

In theory, yes.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Plato

Gary Glencross wrote:

> I have a legitimate preinstalled copy of Windows XP on my computer. Recently
> the machine ran out of hard disk space when I was downloading stuff
> overnight. It then wiped all my Restore points and did funny things to the
> machine.
>
> I wrote in here a couple of weeks ago for advice on how to fix this. It was

Hopefully the suggesstion was to get a hard disk of the size suitable
for the OS you want to run. That's the real fix.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Michael-NC

Yes, as long as it's the same version. Plato voiced some concerns about disc
capacity, I suggest you listen to whatever advice he offered you about this
issue.

"Gary Glencross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c27l7n$13g$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't all gasp at the one time.
>
> I have a legitimate preinstalled copy of Windows XP on my computer.

Recently
> the machine ran out of hard disk space when I was downloading stuff
> overnight. It then wiped all my Restore points and did funny things to the
> machine.
>
> I wrote in here a couple of weeks ago for advice on how to fix this. It

was
> suggested I get a hold of an XP disk from the manufacturer (the disk I

have
> is simply one that will wipe and reset everything) and install XP again

over
> my installation.
>
> A friend has an XP disk. Can I use his for this purpose and input my own
> serial number when (and I assume it will) the installation asks for my

code?

> Any replies welcome.
>
> Thanks

George

It used to be (and may still be) an issue of acquiring a disk for the same
license TYPE (OEM or retail box) as your product key is for.

George

news:zXQ1c.70036$(E-Mail Removed). com...

borrowing Constants Roedy Green Java 22 09-26-2011 02:36 AM
Making C better (by borrowing from C++) Masood C Programming 247 01-14-2008 05:42 AM
Borrowing a PC? Put Linux on it, via a USB drive Au79 Computer Support 0 08-01-2006 05:53 AM
Making C better (by borrowing from C++) masood.iqbal@lycos.com C Programming 86 02-28-2005 07:04 AM
TIME borrowing in synthesis whizkid VHDL 1 11-02-2004 03:39 PM

Advertisments