Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > deleting unread messages

deleting unread messages

csj

I got thousands of unread junk mails among my messages . How does one
delete them without selecting them? Is there a short cut?
Thanks for any help.

Thor

First, turn off the preview pane by clicking "view", then "layout", then
uncheck the "show preview pane" option, and click "apply". This will prevent
messages from opening automatically when you click on them in the message
list, thus making it safer to select them. Now, in order to select a range
of messages at once, select the first message by clicking on it once to
highlight it, then while holding down the shift key, click once on the
*last* message in the range. This should cause the entire range of messages
between your two selections to be highlighted. Now, simply press the delete
key, to send the entire selected range of messages to the deleted items bin.
If you want to select several messages at once, but they are not in a
continuous range, simply use the CTRL key instead, and click once on each
message in turn you wish to select, and each will highlight. Then press the
delete key. If you wish to quickly empty the contents of the deleted items
bin, just right-click on it, and select "empty deleted items folder", and
now they are gone. Lastly, go back to "view" then "layout" and re-enable the
preview pane if you wish. If you leave it disabled, it will require a double
click on a message in the list to open it for viewing.

"csj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Yox1c.19769$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I got thousands of unread junk mails among my messages . How does one
> delete them without selecting them? Is there a short cut?
> Thanks for any help.

Alex Devlin

On 03 Mar 2004, Thor wrote:

> First, turn off the preview pane by clicking "view", then "layout",
> then uncheck the "show preview pane" option, and click "apply". This
> will prevent messages from opening automatically when you click on
> them in the message list, thus making it safer to select them. Now, in
> order to select a range of messages at once, select the first message
> by clicking on it once to highlight it, then while holding down the
> shift key, click once on the *last* message in the range. This should
> cause the entire range of messages between your two selections to be
> highlighted. Now, simply press the delete key, to send the entire
> selected range of messages to the deleted items bin. If you want to
> select several messages at once, but they are not in a continuous
> range, simply use the CTRL key instead, and click once on each message
> in turn you wish to select, and each will highlight. Then press the
> delete key. If you wish to quickly empty the contents of the deleted
> items bin, just right-click on it, and select "empty deleted items
> folder", and now they are gone. Lastly, go back to "view" then
> "layout" and re-enable the preview pane if you wish. If you leave it
> disabled, it will require a double click on a message in the list to
> open it for viewing.
>

> ..
> "csj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Yox1c.19769$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> I got thousands of unread junk mails among my messages . How does
>> one delete them without selecting them? Is there a short cut?
>> Thanks for any help.

Then get mailwasher http://www.mailwasher.net/
It gets the emails from your server and you can bounce them or delete and
only download what you want.

--
Alex Devlin

Good friends will bail you out of jail...
... True friends will be sitting there with you saying "Damn. That was
fun!"

picker

Presorium "Frontgate" It is superb - and free.