Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > what video card?

what video card?

Steff

Looking to change my video card. Not into gaming so doesn't have to be ultra
fast.
What will be suitable with my motherboard:

CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 800 MHz (8 x 100)
Motherboard Name Shuttle AV61 (2 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT82C693A Apollo Pro133
System Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (03/15/00)
Thanks

DeMoN LaG

"Steff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:m4i1c.16995$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net:

> Looking to change my video card. Not into gaming so doesn't have to be
> ultra fast.
> What will be suitable with my motherboard:

What is your current card and what aspect of it is not working well enough
to keep using it?

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
Repairs, upgrades and networking

Michael-NC

If your not into gaming, just get anything that works. I have a machine with
XP and a 4MB video card and it runs fine.

"Steff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:m4i1c.16995$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Looking to change my video card. Not into gaming so doesn't have to be

ultra
> fast.
> What will be suitable with my motherboard:
>
> CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 800 MHz (8 x 100)
> Motherboard Name Shuttle AV61 (2 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
> Motherboard Chipset VIA VT82C693A Apollo Pro133
> System Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)
> BIOS Type Award Modular (03/15/00)
> Thanks

Steff

"Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Fow1c.41806$%(E-Mail Removed). com...
> If your not into gaming, just get anything that works. I have a machine

with
> XP and a 4MB video card and it runs fine.
>
> "Steff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:m4i1c.16995$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> > Looking to change my video card. Not into gaming so doesn't have to be

> ultra
> > fast.
> > What will be suitable with my motherboard:
> >
> > CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 800 MHz (8 x 100)
> > Motherboard Name Shuttle AV61 (2 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
> > Motherboard Chipset VIA VT82C693A Apollo Pro133
> > System Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)
> > BIOS Type Award Modular (03/15/00)
> > Thanks

I want to change it because after installing a new hard drive and installing
XP, it just doesn't show graphics properly in XP - screen savers are slow
and jerky, as is scrolling etc. Updated drivers etc but am pretty sure its
the graphics card that's on the way out.
So basically what I want to know is - will ANY AGP graphics card fit that
motherboard - for example will a 4MB ATI 3D Rage IIc.
and a 3D Labs Wildcat 111 6110 both fit? (Not particularly thinking about
getting either, just using them as examples)
Details of my pc are at
http://www.djh.ukjournalists.co.uk/Pc2%20report.htm

DeMoN LaG

"Steff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:7Uz1c.15139$(E-Mail Removed)9.net:

> I want to change it because after installing a new hard drive and
> installing XP, it just doesn't show graphics properly in XP - screen
> savers are slow and jerky, as is scrolling etc. Updated drivers etc
> but am pretty sure its the graphics card that's on the way out.

Graphics cards don't tend to work slowly because they are dying, they may
draw corrupted graphics or lock the system up, but if your problem is
scrolling is jerky I'd say you are wasting money on a new graphics card.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Michael-NC

When you loaded XP, did you update the motherboard drivers and then the
video driver?

As Demon said, you're about to waste your money.

"Steff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7Uz1c.15139$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...

> "Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Fow1c.41806$%(E-Mail Removed). com...
> > If your not into gaming, just get anything that works. I have a machine

> with
> > XP and a 4MB video card and it runs fine.
> >
> > "Steff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:m4i1c.16995$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> > > Looking to change my video card. Not into gaming so doesn't have to be

> > ultra
> > > fast.
> > > What will be suitable with my motherboard:
> > >
> > > CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 800 MHz (8 x 100)
> > > Motherboard Name Shuttle AV61 (2 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
> > > Motherboard Chipset VIA VT82C693A Apollo Pro133
> > > System Memory 256 MB (SDRAM)
> > > BIOS Type Award Modular (03/15/00)
> > > Thanks
> > >

> I want to change it because after installing a new hard drive and

installing
> XP, it just doesn't show graphics properly in XP - screen savers are slow
> and jerky, as is scrolling etc. Updated drivers etc but am pretty sure its
> the graphics card that's on the way out.
> So basically what I want to know is - will ANY AGP graphics card fit that
> motherboard - for example will a 4MB ATI 3D Rage IIc.
> and a 3D Labs Wildcat 111 6110 both fit? (Not particularly thinking about
> getting either, just using them as examples)
> Details of my pc are at
> http://www.djh.ukjournalists.co.uk/Pc2%20report.htm

Michael-NC

Just looked at the Shuttle website and found _No_ drivers for your mainboard
for XP. You may have done an ill-advised upgrade, in which case, no video
card will help you. Old hardware and a new OS does not always play together.

Try to install the Win2K drivers available at the shuttle site and hope for
the best.

http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/download/dwn.asp