Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Cable signal leaks

Cable signal leaks

Igor

I have a rather odd question i hope someone can shed a little bit of light
on.

It would seem my ecs k7s51 w/ xp 1900 is throwing off something on or near
the same freq. as cable tv uses.

They were doing their rounds when they found this problem, any one have a
clue why its doing it? or better yet how to fix it?

VWWall

Igor wrote:

> I have a rather odd question i hope someone can shed a little bit of light
> on.
>
> It would seem my ecs k7s51 w/ xp 1900 is throwing off something on or near
> the same freq. as cable tv uses.

There are a number of RF generators in every computer. They
should be shielded, (by the case), and filtered, (by the power
supply line filter), so as not to cause problems.

Cable systems use a large spectrum of frequencies. Did they say
what frequency(s) your system was "throwing off"? Was it causing
any problem? To you or to them?

> They were doing their rounds when they found this problem, any one have a
> clue why its doing it? or better yet how to fix it?

Check that your case is properly closed, and that the ground
in the power socket is OK. If it's not causing you a problem,
find out what the cable company's problem is.

Virg Wall
--

It is vain to do with more
what can be done with fewer.

Igor

well its more of an FCC thing, they do the leak tests bcuz the FCC tells
them to, outside that its not a huge deal other then it got me thinking...
I assume you mean the grouding wires in the house right, like in the walls,
testing that doesn't seem like a bad idea, how would i go about it?

fyi the mobo is a ecs k7s5a, fighting a bit of a cold here

VWWall

Igor wrote:

> well its more of an FCC thing, they do the leak tests bcuz the FCC tells
> them to, outside that its not a huge deal other then it got me thinking...

If there's no interference with your cable reception, I'd not worry.

> I assume you mean the grouding wires in the house right, like in the walls,
> testing that doesn't seem like a bad idea, how would i go about it?
>
> fyi the mobo is a ecs k7s5a, fighting a bit of a cold here

It's a good idea, if only for safety reasons, to test all the
outlets in your home. Many older or re-wired homes have incorrectly
wired sockets.

You can get a tester that plugs into the wall socket that will check
for ground, neutral and hot on the proper socket terminals. Check
at any home supply center.

Virg Wall
--

It is vain to do with more
what can be done with fewer.

Anna N. Amis

VWWall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1k81c.16028$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Igor wrote:
>
> > well its more of an FCC thing, they do the leak tests bcuz the FCC tells
> > them to, outside that its not a huge deal other then it got me

thinking...

> If there's no interference with your cable reception, I'd not worry.
>
> > I assume you mean the grouding wires in the house right, like in the

walls,
> > testing that doesn't seem like a bad idea, how would i go about it?
> >
> > fyi the mobo is a ecs k7s5a, fighting a bit of a cold here

> It's a good idea, if only for safety reasons, to test all the
> outlets in your home. Many older or re-wired homes have incorrectly
> wired sockets.
>
> You can get a tester that plugs into the wall socket that will check
> for ground, neutral and hot on the proper socket terminals. Check
> at any home supply center.
>
> Virg Wall
> --
>
> It is vain to do with more
> what can be done with fewer.
> William of Occam.

My UPS has an alarm lite that comes on when it is connected to a socket
that is not wired properly. Maybe they all do. If so you can just plug a UPS
into your outlets to test them. Not a cheap as a tester but if you already
have a UPS, why not.