Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > how to open Window Explorer at "My Documents"

Reply
Thread Tools

how to open Window Explorer at "My Documents"

 
 
Tones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2004
Dear people

I have went thru and tried many settings in the options, but I still cannot
figure out how to open Window Explorer with the default directory being"My
Document". It always open at "C" drive. I always need to click back to "my
Doc" cos that's where all my useful stuff is. Can anyone help pls?
I am using WinXP Home.


Best regards
Tones



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dfrog
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2004
Tones,

In WinXP Home / Windows Explorer, select 'View Menu' then select 'Goto' then
select 'My Documents'
and that should do the trick for you.

dfrog



"Tones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c227io$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear people
>
> I have went thru and tried many settings in the options, but I still

cannot
> figure out how to open Window Explorer with the default directory being"My
> Document". It always open at "C" drive. I always need to click back to "my
> Doc" cos that's where all my useful stuff is. Can anyone help pls?
> I am using WinXP Home.
>
>
> Best regards
> Tones
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2004
dear dfrog

firstly, thanks for your kind help.
however, there is no "My Document" to be selected in the view menu.


Best regards
Tones

"dfrog" <(E-Mail Removed)> 级糶秎ン穝籇
:c22pni$1olmpm$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Tones,
>
> In WinXP Home / Windows Explorer, select 'View Menu' then select 'Goto'

then
> select 'My Documents'
> and that should do the trick for you.
>
> dfrog
>
>
>
> "Tones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c227io$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Dear people
> >
> > I have went thru and tried many settings in the options, but I still

> cannot
> > figure out how to open Window Explorer with the default directory

being"My
> > Document". It always open at "C" drive. I always need to click back to

"my
> > Doc" cos that's where all my useful stuff is. Can anyone help pls?
> > I am using WinXP Home.
> >
> >
> > Best regards
> > Tones
> >
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Kenny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2004
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe

maybe this works


"Tones" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:c24nl6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> dear dfrog
>
> firstly, thanks for your kind help.
> however, there is no "My Document" to be selected in the view menu.
>
>
> Best regards
> Tones
>
> "dfrog" <(E-Mail Removed)> 级糶秎ン穝籇
> :c22pni$1olmpm$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > Tones,
> >
> > In WinXP Home / Windows Explorer, select 'View Menu' then select 'Goto'

> then
> > select 'My Documents'
> > and that should do the trick for you.
> >
> > dfrog
> >
> >
> >
> > "Tones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c227io$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Dear people
> > >
> > > I have went thru and tried many settings in the options, but I still

> > cannot
> > > figure out how to open Window Explorer with the default directory

> being"My
> > > Document". It always open at "C" drive. I always need to click back to

> "my
> > > Doc" cos that's where all my useful stuff is. Can anyone help pls?
> > > I am using WinXP Home.
> > >
> > >
> > > Best regards
> > > Tones
> > >
> > >
> > >

> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
dfrog
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2004
Tones,

GULP........ sorry to hear that.
Next thing to try is to post your request to
microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers &/or microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
There are lots of good knowledgeable helpful people in there who will know
the answer

good luck

dfrog


"Tones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c24nl6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> dear dfrog
>
> firstly, thanks for your kind help.
> however, there is no "My Document" to be selected in the view menu.
>
>
> Best regards
> Tones
>
> "dfrog" <(E-Mail Removed)> 级糶秎ン穝籇
> :c22pni$1olmpm$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > Tones,
> >
> > In WinXP Home / Windows Explorer, select 'View Menu' then select 'Goto'

> then
> > select 'My Documents'
> > and that should do the trick for you.
> >
> > dfrog
> >
> >
> >
> > "Tones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c227io$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Dear people
> > >
> > > I have went thru and tried many settings in the options, but I still

> > cannot
> > > figure out how to open Window Explorer with the default directory

> being"My
> > > Document". It always open at "C" drive. I always need to click back to

> "my
> > > Doc" cos that's where all my useful stuff is. Can anyone help pls?
> > > I am using WinXP Home.
> > >
> > >
> > > Best regards
> > > Tones
> > >
> > >
> > >

> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Tones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-04-2004
Dear Kenny

Thanks for your advise also.
From your reply, I assume that I should enter "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe" in
the RUN command in the START menu.
After I have run this, it really does open Win Explorer at My Docs.
But after I close WinExpr and re-open it by selecting from the START menu,
it re-starts at "C:" drive again.
I think we are getting warmer though. I believe it can be set somewhere in
the registry, but of course I wouldn't know, cos I'm not an expert in any
way.

I remember in older windows OS (95 or 9, you could "save" at which
directory you would like to open WinExpr at.



Best regards
Tones

"Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> 级糶秎ン穝籇
:40465541$0$776$(E-Mail Removed)...
> %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
>
> maybe this works
>
>
> "Tones" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:c24nl6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > dear dfrog
> >
> > firstly, thanks for your kind help.
> > however, there is no "My Document" to be selected in the view menu.
> >
> >
> > Best regards
> > Tones
> >
> > "dfrog" <(E-Mail Removed)> 级糶秎ン穝籇
> > :c22pni$1olmpm$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > > Tones,
> > >
> > > In WinXP Home / Windows Explorer, select 'View Menu' then select

'Goto'
> > then
> > > select 'My Documents'
> > > and that should do the trick for you.
> > >
> > > dfrog
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > "Tones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:c227io$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > > Dear people
> > > >
> > > > I have went thru and tried many settings in the options, but I still
> > > cannot
> > > > figure out how to open Window Explorer with the default directory

> > being"My
> > > > Document". It always open at "C" drive. I always need to click back

to
> > "my
> > > > Doc" cos that's where all my useful stuff is. Can anyone help pls?
> > > > I am using WinXP Home.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Best regards
> > > > Tones
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >

> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-04-2004
"Tones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c27jri$(E-Mail Removed):

> But after I close WinExpr and re-open it by selecting from the START
> menu, it re-starts at "C:" drive again.
>


You can simply change your shortcut from explorer.exe to explorer.exe c:\my
folder, as in, put the path you want it to open at after the command.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
 
Reply With Quote
 
VWWall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-04-2004
Tones wrote:

> Dear Kenny
>
> Thanks for your advise also.
> From your reply, I assume that I should enter "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe" in
> the RUN command in the START menu.
> After I have run this, it really does open Win Explorer at My Docs.
> But after I close WinExpr and re-open it by selecting from the START menu,
> it re-starts at "C:" drive again.
> I think we are getting warmer though. I believe it can be set somewhere in
> the registry, but of course I wouldn't know, cos I'm not an expert in any
> way.
>
> I remember in older windows OS (95 or 9, you could "save" at which
> directory you would like to open WinExpr at.


You might have a look at:

http://www.xteq.com/downloads/#exlp

for Explorer LaunchPad. (free) It lets you launch Explorer to
any folder you wish.

Virg Wall
--

It is vain to do with more
what can be done with fewer.
William of Occam.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Trent
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2004
On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:00:11 +0800, "Tones" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Dear people
>
>I have went thru and tried many settings in the options, but I still cannot
>figure out how to open Window Explorer with the default directory being"My
>Document". It always open at "C" drive. I always need to click back to "my
>Doc" cos that's where all my useful stuff is. Can anyone help pls?
>I am using WinXP Home.
>
>
>Best regards
>Tones


Do a Google search for...

explorer.exe /n /e

You'll find plenty of examples.

Good luck.


Have a nice week...

Trent

Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2004
Dear DeMoN LaG

Thanks. You are a star. You have fixed my problem!!
I looked everywhere in the options and settings inside Win Explorer, and
never thought the cause was something so simple.
Thanks again.


Best regards
Tones

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> 级糶秎ン穝籇:Xns94A273D41CA3CWobbly@208.42.66.15 6...
> "Tones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:c27jri$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > But after I close WinExpr and re-open it by selecting from the START
> > menu, it re-starts at "C:" drive again.
> >

>
> You can simply change your shortcut from explorer.exe to explorer.exe

c:\my
> folder, as in, put the path you want it to open at after the command.
>
> --
> website: http://www.demonlag.com
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
Internet Explorer 8: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe vs C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe Nathan Sokalski Windows 64bit 16 02-22-2010 08:31 AM
Windows explorer won't open folders using the same window Rick Arding Computer Support 13 03-14-2009 09:12 PM
Open new Internet Explorer window from web service or Web App =?Utf-8?B?a3N0cml5aG9u?= ASP .Net 3 08-03-2005 06:55 PM
window.open() doesn't open new Window in Opera PC HUA Javascript 2 05-19-2004 02:29 AM



Advertisments