Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > USB MICE SUCK

USB MICE SUCK

John

On 01 Mar 2004 04:54:58 GMT, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> It's likely your computer. My experience with most USB pointing
>> devices has been overwhelmingly positive. Your system might have
>> crappy USB controllers (VIA), or you may have problems with the
>> software configuration that is causing excessive CPU usage.

>The original post leads me to believe this is someone who isn't terribly
>computer literate, has a ludicrously old machine with barely adaquate USB
>support, is running 30 TSRs in the background and is complaining of poor
>USB performance. I may be wrong, but that is what the post looks like to
>me.

You guys have some interesting points. I know someone with an old
machine and they got a USB Mouse 4 months or so ago and have had
nothing but trouble with it. Perhaps you are right about the USB
drivers being crap, but I generally do believe that PS2 Mice are a lot
better than USB. Wouldn't a USB mouse take up more resources anyway?
If the computer was brand new I don't doubt it would work, but I still
think PS2 is the best connection for this type of device.

John

Thor

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 01 Mar 2004 04:54:58 GMT, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:
>
> >"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> >> It's likely your computer. My experience with most USB pointing
> >> devices has been overwhelmingly positive. Your system might have
> >> crappy USB controllers (VIA), or you may have problems with the
> >> software configuration that is causing excessive CPU usage.

> >The original post leads me to believe this is someone who isn't terribly
> >computer literate, has a ludicrously old machine with barely adaquate USB
> >support, is running 30 TSRs in the background and is complaining of poor
> >USB performance. I may be wrong, but that is what the post looks like to
> >me.

> You guys have some interesting points. I know someone with an old
> machine and they got a USB Mouse 4 months or so ago and have had
> nothing but trouble with it. Perhaps you are right about the USB
> drivers being crap, but I generally do believe that PS2 Mice are a lot
> better than USB. Wouldn't a USB mouse take up more resources anyway?
> If the computer was brand new I don't doubt it would work, but I still
> think PS2 is the best connection for this type of device.

The USB port is already using the resources it is assigned, mouse, or no
mouse, unless you completely disable the ports. No different than having a
PS2 port active, and not using it. If you have an old machine, I would also
recommend PS2 over USB. But for newer hardware I see no disadvantage in
using USB. Eventually, PS2 will be gone anyway.

Logitech G5 and G7 Laser Gaming Mice at XYZ Computing Silverstrand Front Page News 0 12-02-2005 12:42 AM
Sunbeamtech Fireline and Blue Flame Optical Mice Silverstrand Front Page News 0 07-29-2005 05:32 PM
usb keyboards/mice pixel NZ Computing 8 08-08-2004 10:06 AM
Creeping mice Bob - Andover, MA Computer Support 5 02-25-2004 08:50 PM
Durability of optical mice Experienced but Undocumented Computer Support 3 07-15-2003 07:25 PM

Advertisments