Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Can I put Apple spec HDD in PC?

Can I put Apple spec HDD in PC?

Rudge

I have acquired an IBM hard drive model DTTA-350640 (6GB ATA) which was
built in 1998.

It was 'designed and manufactured to Apple specifications'.
The IBM HDD site says its a Deskstar 16GP.

The power and ribbon cable connections are physically the same as PC
compatible ATA hard drives.

Can it be safely used in a PC?

Alex

hardware is almost the same for pc's, im sure you can hook it up to the pc,
maby the cable my be a little diffrent, pins. but it would have to be
formatted to fat or ntfs.and yes i had an apple as well and used some of the
hard ware in my pc, like the hard drive
"Rudge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have acquired an IBM hard drive model DTTA-350640 (6GB ATA) which was
> built in 1998.
>
> It was 'designed and manufactured to Apple specifications'.
> The IBM HDD site says its a Deskstar 16GP.
>
> The power and ribbon cable connections are physically the same as PC
> compatible ATA hard drives.
>
> Can it be safely used in a PC?

Chris

"Rudge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The power and ribbon cable connections are physically the same as PC
> compatible ATA hard drives.
>
> Can it be safely used in a PC?

If the cables and architecture are indeed identical, then the format will in
effect make it into a PC device.

Thor

yes, it should work just fine. You'll just have to partition and format it
with a windows compatible file system like FAT32 or NTFS, depending on the
version of windows used.

"Rudge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have acquired an IBM hard drive model DTTA-350640 (6GB ATA) which was
> built in 1998.
>
> It was 'designed and manufactured to Apple specifications'.
> The IBM HDD site says its a Deskstar 16GP.
>
> The power and ribbon cable connections are physically the same as PC
> compatible ATA hard drives.
>
> Can it be safely used in a PC?

Don Ward

Id like to know if i can put a pc hdd in my G3 apple??
any one know if reverse compability has been done
don ward

--
---
don ward <(E-Mail Removed)>

Robert Baer

Don Ward wrote:

> Id like to know if i can put a pc hdd in my G3 apple??
> any one know if reverse compability has been done
> don ward
>
> --
> ---
> don ward <(E-Mail Removed)>

The drives are IDE, and as long as one used the drive as Master on the
PC there will be no problems (different jumper scheme and no
documentation on the Mac drives).
*BUT*
The drive must be completely re-formated, as the format for the one
computer is radically different than for the other.