Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Naggy Windows XP

Naggy Windows XP

jeh

Is it just me or does it seem that Windows XP is a nag of sorts?
All these little yellow boxes keep popping up and stalling everything to let me know I'm connected or need to install the latest patches or whatever, etc. and frankly, it seems much slower than the Windows 98se on my other computer. There's even more wait-time between when I hit the Start and/or Program buttons and when it actually responds--does anyone know how I could speed things up a bit? It's an E-machine with Athlon 1800+, 256mb ram, and I swear it's slower than my Celeron 500 in response time--and such a NAG!! I've gone into msconfig and took about as much as I can out of the Start tab. Somethings, like Real Player keep coming back though. Any ideas?
Sorry, I had to vent.
Thanks.

Wizard

1) double your RAM
2) Install all the patches
3) In real player, tell it to not use start functions
4) Under performance tab switch to best performance

> jeh wrote:
>
> Is it just me or does it seem that Windows XP is a nag of sorts?
> All these little yellow boxes keep popping up and stalling everything
> to let me know I'm connected or need to install the latest patches or
> whatever, etc. and frankly, it seems much slower than the Windows 98se
> on my other computer. There's even more wait-time between when I hit
> the Start and/or Program buttons and when it actually responds--does
> anyone know how I could speed things up a bit? It's an E-machine with
> Athlon 1800+, 256mb ram, and I swear it's slower than my Celeron 500
> in response time--and such a NAG!! I've gone into msconfig and took
> about as much as I can out of the Start tab. Somethings, like Real
> Player keep coming back though. Any ideas?
> Sorry, I had to vent.
> Thanks.

LarryLamb

jeh wrote:

> Is it just me or does it seem that Windows XP is a nag of sorts?
> All these little yellow boxes keep popping up and stalling everything
> to let me know I'm connected or need to install the latest patches or
> whatever, etc. and frankly, it seems much slower than the Windows 98se
> on my other computer. There's even more wait-time between when I hit
> the Start and/or Program buttons and when it actually responds--does
> anyone know how I could speed things up a bit? It's an E-machine with
> Athlon 1800+, 256mb ram, and I swear it's slower than my Celeron 500
> in response time--and such a NAG!! I've gone into msconfig and took
> about as much as I can out of the Start tab. Somethings, like Real
> Player keep coming back though. Any ideas?
> Sorry, I had to vent.
> Thanks.

Generally speaking automatic updates are quite a good idea and it means you
PC will always have the most up to date security patches and bug-fixes. If
you want to switch off automatic updates completely, or tell Windows to ask
permission before accessing the Internet go to System in Control Panel,
select the Automatic Update tab, change the Notification Settings as
appropriate then click OK.

Like previous versions of Windows a large number of programs and utilities
are loaded during boot up, not all of them are necessary and they can gobble
up memory and resources. One quick and easy way to find out what they are is
to go to Run on the Start menu and type 'services.msc'. This will bring up a
list of all of the programs that can run or are presently running in the
background. To find out what each one does simply right click on it and this
will display a dialogue box with a description and a 'Start Type' drop-down
menu with Automatic, Manual or Disable options.

Thor

Quite simple to remedy. Go here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and use the tweak for
disabling the balloon tips. Then go to your Windows system properties, and
click the "advanced" tab, then under the "performance" section, click the
"settings" button. Then *uncheck* all the items in the list *except* the
last two (drop shadows and visual styles). This should speed up your UI
response time quite a bit. If it's still not snappy enough for you, uncheck
the last option as well, and you'll get the old-style windows UI like Win98,
and that UI style will respond quicker than any other, but you sacrifice the
new XP visual styles. Still, if it's UI responsiveness you want, that's what
should give it to you. As for the realplayer crap, you'll need to delete or
rename the file that it keeps loading in order to prevent it. RealOne Player
is a bitch. You can't stop "realsched" any other way. It shouldn't preven
you from using the RealOne player though. It didn;t on mine.

"jeh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i4q0c.6970$(E-Mail Removed)...
Is it just me or does it seem that Windows XP is a nag of sorts?
All these little yellow boxes keep popping up and stalling everything to let
me know I'm connected or need to install the latest patches or whatever,
etc. and frankly, it seems much slower than the Windows 98se on my other
computer. There's even more wait-time between when I hit the Start and/or
Program buttons and when it actually responds--does anyone know how I could
speed things up a bit? It's an E-machine with Athlon 1800+, 256mb ram, and
I swear it's slower than my Celeron 500 in response time--and such a NAG!!
I've gone into msconfig and took about as much as I can out of the Start
tab. Somethings, like Real Player keep coming back though. Any ideas?
Sorry, I had to vent.
Thanks.

jeh

A thousand thank yu's for all your tips.

[...]

Michael-NC

http://xp-antispy.org

Try that little proggie. It disables a lot of crap on XP in one shot.