Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Linking CD ROM To Soundcard

Linking CD ROM To Soundcard

Thor

"Basket Case" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Todd Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:L6t0c.707$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hmm sounds to me like that is an Audio Processor problem.....onboard

sound
> > by any chance?
> > TH
> > "Basket Case" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Todd Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > newsAr0c.1031$(E-Mail Removed)...

> back
> > > onto

> > jack
> > > on

> Is

quality.

> > > LoL ... well the problem I have is when I start playing games like

> > Horizons
> > > or SWG, my CD audio starts to skip if using WinXP's digital CD audio

> > enabled
> > > for the drive. Disabling that and using the analog clears up the

> problem.
> > >
> > > -BC
> > >

> Nope ... SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum

Could also be a result of not having the drive running in DMA mode. Without
DMA mode, CPU usage is much higher for CD data transfers over the IDE bus.
Since using the analog output requires no significant data transfers over
the bus, but DA does, this could be an issue. Check your DMA checkbox
setting in the CDROM settings in the device manager if using Win9x, or check
the DMA settings of the IDE controllers if using Win2K, or XP, and make sure
it's set to "DMA if available".

DeMoN LaG

"Todd Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gPu0c.1144$(E-Mail Removed):

> using the Soundstorm onboard on my Asus A7N8X Dlx instead....havent
> looked back since...my issue was different then yours
> though...depending on the app I had to turn this on, turn this off all
> the time....it sucked....

The A7N8X-Deluxe with nvidia SoundStorm is actually almost as good a
soundcard as a Creative Audigy 2 Platinum according to the "benchmarks" I
read about it. And if you buy the Asus instead of the Creative you get the
sound card with a free motherboard

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Basket Case

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Basket Case" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Todd Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:L6t0c.707$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hmm sounds to me like that is an Audio Processor problem.....onboard

> sound
> > > by any chance?
> > > TH
> > > "Basket Case" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > back

headphone
> > > jack

anymore...

drives.
> > Is

> quality.

> > > Horizons
> > > enabled

> > problem.

> > Nope ... SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Platinum

> Could also be a result of not having the drive running in DMA mode.

Without
> DMA mode, CPU usage is much higher for CD data transfers over the IDE bus.
> Since using the analog output requires no significant data transfers over
> the bus, but DA does, this could be an issue. Check your DMA checkbox
> setting in the CDROM settings in the device manager if using Win9x, or

check
> the DMA settings of the IDE controllers if using Win2K, or XP, and make

sure
> it's set to "DMA if available".

Good thinking, but I had already turned on DMA for smoother DVD playback.

-BC