Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Two Computers Using One Internet Connection

Two Computers Using One Internet Connection

Representative Trantis

I have a broadband connection with my main computer. It's running Windows
Xp.
My other, is a lot slower, and is running Windows 98. That is using dialup.
Is there any way I can link the two computers together so that they can both
use the one internet broadband connection?

Pepperoni

A router is the perfect solution.

"Representative Trantis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c1sg2i$v2v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a broadband connection with my main computer. It's running Windows
> Xp.
> My other, is a lot slower, and is running Windows 98. That is using

dialup.
> Is there any way I can link the two computers together so that they can

both
> use the one internet broadband connection?

Representative Trantis

Is it easy to do?, and is it possible, given that the two are using
different operating systems?

"Pepperoni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c1shbl$1md242$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> A router is the perfect solution.
>

> "Representative Trantis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c1sg2i$v2v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a broadband connection with my main computer. It's running

Windows
> > Xp.
> > My other, is a lot slower, and is running Windows 98. That is using

> dialup.
> > Is there any way I can link the two computers together so that they can

> both
> > use the one internet broadband connection?

Geek

it's very easy to do, and it does not matter if the operating systems are
different.
Your internet connection ( Cable or DSL) will connect to a router using
Ethernet cable, that router could be wired or wireless:

If your 2 computers are close to eachother and can be connected by wires
then your best choice is a wired network using a router . make sure both
computers have Ethernet cards though.

If they are far and wiring is difficult then go with a wireless network
which requires a wireless router that connects one computer using wired
Ethernet and connects the second one using wireless . you will need to
install a wireless PCI card on the wirelessly connected computer.
all these products come with detailed instructions, you might also discuss
your needs with the people at the computer store where you plan to buy your
supplies.
Good luck.

"Representative Trantis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c1shnd$du0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it easy to do?, and is it possible, given that the two are using
> different operating systems?
>

> "Pepperoni" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c1shbl$1md242$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > A router is the perfect solution.
> >

> > "Representative Trantis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c1sg2i$v2v$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I have a broadband connection with my main computer. It's running

> Windows
> > > Xp.
> > > My other, is a lot slower, and is running Windows 98. That is using

> > dialup.
> > > Is there any way I can link the two computers together so that they

can
> > both
> > > use the one internet broadband connection?

Wizard

A router is the best option.

Representative Trantis wrote:

> I have a broadband connection with my main computer. It's running Windows
> Xp.
> My other, is a lot slower, and is running Windows 98. That is using dialup.
> Is there any way I can link the two computers together so that they can both
> use the one internet broadband connection?

Representative Trantis

How exactly does a router work?, what does it do?

How does it share the connection?

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A router is the best option.
>
> Representative Trantis wrote:
> >
> > I have a broadband connection with my main computer. It's running

Windows
> > Xp.
> > My other, is a lot slower, and is running Windows 98. That is using

dialup.
> > Is there any way I can link the two computers together so that they can

both
> > use the one internet broadband connection?

Duane Arnold

"Representative Trantis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c1sg2i$v2v$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a broadband connection with my main computer. It's running
> Windows Xp.
> My other, is a lot slower, and is running Windows 98. That is using
> dialup. Is there any way I can link the two computers together so that
> they can both use the one internet broadband connection?

The link explains it all, along with other networking topics. You should be
aware of the router's MAC cloning feature that you can use to clone the NIC
MAC of the computer that's connected to the BB ISP. You will need to clone
the NIC of the computer into the router so that the ISP thinks that it's
communicating with the computer's NIC MAC.

Duane

Livewire

In article <Xns949E76388EF49darnold92insightbbco@204.127.199. 17>,
> "Representative Trantis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:c1sg2i$v2v$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I have a broadband connection with my main computer. It's running
> > Windows Xp.
> > My other, is a lot slower, and is running Windows 98. That is using
> > dialup. Is there any way I can link the two computers together so that
> > they can both use the one internet broadband connection?
> >

> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
>
> The link explains it all, along with other networking topics. You should be
> aware of the router's MAC cloning feature that you can use to clone the NIC
> MAC of the computer that's connected to the BB ISP. You will need to clone
> the NIC of the computer into the router so that the ISP thinks that it's
> communicating with the computer's NIC MAC.
>
> Duane

I rather think that since the OP needed to ask how a router works, he is
probably going to be a bit bamboozled by this advice. Can you turn it
into English for him?

Duane Arnold

Livewire <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> In article <Xns949E76388EF49darnold92insightbbco@204.127.199. 17>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> "Representative Trantis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:c1sg2i$v2v$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > I have a broadband connection with my main computer. It's running
>> > Windows Xp.
>> > My other, is a lot slower, and is running Windows 98. That is using
>> > dialup. Is there any way I can link the two computers together so
>> > that they can both use the one internet broadband connection?
>> >

>> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
>>
>> The link explains it all, along with other networking topics. You
>> should be aware of the router's MAC cloning feature that you can use
>> to clone the NIC MAC of the computer that's connected to the BB ISP.
>> You will need to clone the NIC of the computer into the router so
>> that the ISP thinks that it's communicating with the computer's NIC
>> MAC.
>>
>> Duane
>>

> I rather think that since the OP needed to ask how a router works, he
> is probably going to be a bit bamboozled by this advice. Can you turn
> it into English for him?

If the OP wants to post some questions, I'll try to answer them.

Duane

Professor

You need to get a router and you can run them both through the broadband. I
am doing it with the same setup a newer one and an older one and it works
fine.