Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Transfer info on one computer to another

Transfer info on one computer to another

harrypotter

I just bought a new computer and would like to move my files, pics,
mp3s, and fonts over to the new computer. The only problem is that my
old computer doesn't have a cd writer. How can I move these files
over? The salesperson at the computer store told me I had no choice
but to use floppy disks. I know someone out here must have a better
idea!

Thanks in advance!

Robert Baer

harrypotter wrote:

> I just bought a new computer and would like to move my files, pics,
> mp3s, and fonts over to the new computer. The only problem is that my
> old computer doesn't have a cd writer. How can I move these files
> over? The salesperson at the computer store told me I had no choice
> but to use floppy disks. I know someone out here must have a better
> idea!
>
> Thanks in advance!

That "salesman" is an ass.
Install the old HD as Secondary Master and do HD to HD copy of all
personal files.
Fast and no added cost...
Check and double check that all has been done, and a week or so later,
triple check.

Thor

The salesman is an idiot.

There are a number of possible ways to do this besides using floppies, and
it just depends on your level of technical knowledge as to which method you
want to use. Here are a few of them.

1. Get a USB file transfer cable. If both machines have USB ports, you can
use one of these specialized cables to transfer the data betwen them. Make
sure whatever one you get comes with software for that purpose.

2. A parallel "laplink" cable. This is a special cable that connects to the
parallel (LPT) printer port of each computer. You can use the Windows XP
files and settings transfwer wizard to set up a connection between the two
computers, and then select the files for transfer. Or, use other software
like Linkmaven, Laplink, etc to do this.

3. serial "null modem" cable. Connects between the serial COM ports of each
computer. Much slower than the two solutions above, and I would only suggest
this if you have very little data to move.

4. Install network cards in both machines (if they don't already have them)
and use a crossover network cable to connect the machines together. Set up a
network between them, then transfer the files.

5. Remove the harddrive from the older computer, and install it temporarily
as a secondary master on the new machine, then fire up windows and simply
drag-n-drop the files from the old drive to the new one. This may require
disconnecting your CD drive(s) temporarily on the new machine, but when you
are finished, simply reconnect them and everything should be fine.

"harrypotter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I just bought a new computer and would like to move my files, pics,
> mp3s, and fonts over to the new computer. The only problem is that my
> old computer doesn't have a cd writer. How can I move these files
> over? The salesperson at the computer store told me I had no choice
> but to use floppy disks. I know someone out here must have a better
> idea!
>
> Thanks in advance!

Wizard

Remove the old drive and temporarily hook it up where your new CD drive
is. Reboot and it should be seen .. if not you will have to change the
jumpers on it. Then once it appears just copy and paste the whole drive
to a new folder called "old Stuff". This is how I do it everyday. Then
of course reverse the process.

harrypotter wrote:

> I just bought a new computer and would like to move my files, pics,
> mp3s, and fonts over to the new computer. The only problem is that my
> old computer doesn't have a cd writer. How can I move these files
> over? The salesperson at the computer store told me I had no choice
> but to use floppy disks. I know someone out here must have a better
> idea!
>
> Thanks in advance!

Jerry G.

There are a number of options.

The best I found is to put a network card in both machines. Your new one
should have it. Use a peer to peer cable between the two, and set them up
for a small network. You will then be able to drag and drop the folders
over.

If you want, the better way to do the network, especially if you are using a
high speed network modem, is to get a router, and use patch cables. This way
you can have a mini network with the two computers, and both have internet
access at the same time. You can also make the printer shared, so that each
machine can print on the same printer.

You can also get the hardware and software to do file transfers by USB,
serial, or parallel ports. This is not the best, but will work. The end cost
would be about the same, as a proper simple network connection between the
two machines.

Your dealer, if he is worth himself as a dealer should be able to help you
set this up.

Another approach is to get another hard disk, and install it in to the old
machine as a second drive. You can then move it over to the new machine to
copy the files over, and then leave it in as a backup and extra data drive.
I would prefer this method for internal backups, and data storage. But, I
like networking my machines together. I keep my old machines, and network
them together as I buy new ones. I now have 4 machines working together. I
am soon going to get another one, and also add this to the system.

I have a friend that buys used ones, and is building a network at home. He
has a computer in almost each room of the house now. There is even a kitchen
computer for doing recipes, keeping track of the food usage, and making the
shopping lists. He also has cameras at the front and rear doors, and the
driveway, with an intercom that works though all the computers.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg
http://www.zoom-one.com
==================

"harrypotter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
I just bought a new computer and would like to move my files, pics,
mp3s, and fonts over to the new computer. The only problem is that my
old computer doesn't have a cd writer. How can I move these files
over? The salesperson at the computer store told me I had no choice
but to use floppy disks. I know someone out here must have a better
idea!

Thanks in advance!

Professor

There are data tansfer cables that use the parallel port which you can get
for about six dollars and then use Windows direct cable transfer. Another
solution is to temporarily put the old hdd into the new computer as a slave
drive and copy the data then you can put it back into the old computer.
Another way would be to put it on a web site if the files are small but mp3s
are not allowed by most free websites. The first two solutions work fine and
I have used them both.