Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer Security - Tracking Software?

Computer Security - Tracking Software?

John

Hello.

I am interested in finding out about stealthy security software that
you can install on your computer. The type you can use to track and
trace your computer if it is stolen, which can not be detected by
anti-spyware programs.

Firstly I just wondered if there is any software that doesn't send the
tracking information centrally to any security companies, but instead
allows you to access the internet by other means and find out where it
is located from emails sent etc?

Finally, how much does this type of software cost do you know, and
which ones would you recommend?

Thanks very much for any help

John

Wizard

There ain't no such animal to my knowledge. Think about it ...If I was
to steal your machine, the first thing I would do is format the drive
and start over!

John wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am interested in finding out about stealthy security software that
> you can install on your computer. The type you can use to track and
> trace your computer if it is stolen, which can not be detected by
> anti-spyware programs.
>
> Firstly I just wondered if there is any software that doesn't send the
> tracking information centrally to any security companies, but instead
> allows you to access the internet by other means and find out where it
> is located from emails sent etc?
>
> Finally, how much does this type of software cost do you know, and
> which ones would you recommend?
>
> Thanks very much for any help
>
> John

Michael-NC

There is such a thing.
ComputracePlus
http://www.computrace.com/
Computrace is one of the most professional tracking programs on the market.
The program contacts a monitoring point over the internet once per day and
more often if reported stolen. According to the company, Computrace can
"survive a re-format, F disk command and hard drive re-partitioning". It
will not be protected if the hard drive is physically removed your computer.
Communication between your laptop and the Monitoring Center is encrypted.
The company has a load of testimonials and success stories on it's website.
It claims to recover 95% of the stolen computers using ComputracePlus who
contact. IBM is a reseller. 1/3 of the Fortune 50 companies are customers.
Requirements:

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There ain't no such animal to my knowledge. Think about it ...If I was
> to steal your machine, the first thing I would do is format the drive
> and start over!
>
> John wrote:
> >
> > Hello.
> >
> > I am interested in finding out about stealthy security software that
> > you can install on your computer. The type you can use to track and
> > trace your computer if it is stolen, which can not be detected by
> > anti-spyware programs.
> >
> > Firstly I just wondered if there is any software that doesn't send the
> > tracking information centrally to any security companies, but instead
> > allows you to access the internet by other means and find out where it
> > is located from emails sent etc?
> >
> > Finally, how much does this type of software cost do you know, and
> > which ones would you recommend?
> >
> > Thanks very much for any help
> >
> > John

Jerry G.

If someone is to steal a machine, they would first format the drive and
start over. There is no point. You should see if it is possible to have
your name and address burned in to the firmware of the machine. But, this
would also be erasable by someone who knows what they are doing.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hello.

I am interested in finding out about stealthy security software that
you can install on your computer. The type you can use to track and
trace your computer if it is stolen, which can not be detected by
anti-spyware programs.

Firstly I just wondered if there is any software that doesn't send the
tracking information centrally to any security companies, but instead
allows you to access the internet by other means and find out where it
is located from emails sent etc?

Finally, how much does this type of software cost do you know, and
which ones would you recommend?

Thanks very much for any help

John

Will Dormann

Michael-NC wrote:

> There is such a thing.
> ComputracePlus
> http://www.computrace.com/
> Computrace is one of the most professional tracking programs on the market.
> The program contacts a monitoring point over the internet once per day and
> more often if reported stolen. According to the company, Computrace can
> "survive a re-format, F disk command and hard drive re-partitioning".

Perhaps if the stock MS tools are used, then perhaps. But I'm sure it
will go bye-bye if you zero the drive with a linux boot disk or by using
one of various utilities to do the same.

-WD

Michael-NC

"Will Dormann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4Vn0c.1333$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Michael-NC wrote:
>
> > There is such a thing.
> > ComputracePlus
> > http://www.computrace.com/
> > Computrace is one of the most professional tracking programs on the

market.
> > The program contacts a monitoring point over the internet once per day

and
> > more often if reported stolen. According to the company, Computrace can
> > "survive a re-format, F disk command and hard drive re-partitioning".

> Perhaps if the stock MS tools are used, then perhaps. But I'm sure it
> will go bye-bye if you zero the drive with a linux boot disk or by using
> one of various utilities to do the same.
>

> -WD

Most miscreants who steal computers, aren't that smart. Hence the high
recovery rate recorded by the company and IBM involved as a reseller.

Nothing but death amd taxes is absolute.

Clive

Will Dormann wrote:
> Michael-NC wrote:
>
>> There is such a thing.
>> ComputracePlus
>> http://www.computrace.com/
>> Computrace is one of the most professional tracking programs on the
>> market. The program contacts a monitoring point over the internet
>> once per day and more often if reported stolen. According to the
>> company, Computrace can "survive a re-format, F disk command and
>> hard drive re-partitioning".

> Perhaps if the stock MS tools are used, then perhaps. But I'm sure
> it will go bye-bye if you zero the drive with a linux boot disk or by
> using one of various utilities to do the same.
>

> -WD

What's the most expensive part(s) of a PC - not the HDD. Motherboard, CPU,
Video card?

Maybe the thief would dump the HDD rather than go to the trouble of
deleting, formatting, etc

Clive

Leythos

In article <Mht0c.5460$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> What's the most expensive part(s) of a PC - not the HDD. Motherboard, CPU,
> Video card?
>
> Maybe the thief would dump the HDD rather than go to the trouble of
> deleting, formatting, etc

I know a chap that just had two laptops stolen from his office last
week. They were new Dell's and cost about $4500 each. They wanted to
know if there was any way to recover them or track them - sadly I said
NO.

If I was a thief I would sell them to the next person I could, not even
turning them on. If I was technical, I would boot from CD, wipe the
system, and then go to a pawn shop to sell them....

Unless you install a secret GPS system in the unit that does not need
the HD or OS, then you can not recover them.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

John

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:15:15 GMT, Leythos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <Mht0c.5460$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> What's the most expensive part(s) of a PC - not the HDD. Motherboard, CPU,
>> Video card?
>>
>> Maybe the thief would dump the HDD rather than go to the trouble of
>> deleting, formatting, etc

>I know a chap that just had two laptops stolen from his office last
>week. They were new Dell's and cost about $4500 each. They wanted to
>know if there was any way to recover them or track them - sadly I said
>NO.
>
>If I was a thief I would sell them to the next person I could, not even
>turning them on. If I was technical, I would boot from CD, wipe the
>system, and then go to a pawn shop to sell them....
>
>Unless you install a secret GPS system in the unit that does not need
>the HD or OS, then you can not recover them.

Hum, interesting. Would you even need GPS though? Are there not any
other devices that are cheaper that you could use to track it?
Perhaps some sort of small bug that you put inside the machine that
has a battery and is connected to the computer power supply to keep it
topped up? The type of bug law enforcement use to track vehicles, or
conservation people use to track animals? Do all these use GPS? I'm
sure some don't? There must be a cheaper method.

John

John

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:19:15 GMT, "Michael-NC"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There is such a thing.
>ComputracePlus
>http://www.computrace.com/
>Computrace is one of the most professional tracking programs on the market.
>The program contacts a monitoring point over the internet once per day and
>more often if reported stolen. According to the company, Computrace can
>"survive a re-format, F disk command and hard drive re-partitioning". It
>will not be protected if the hard drive is physically removed your computer.
>Communication between your laptop and the Monitoring Center is encrypted.
>The company has a load of testimonials and success stories on it's website.
>It claims to recover 95% of the stolen computers using ComputracePlus who
>contact. IBM is a reseller. 1/3 of the Fortune 50 companies are customers.
>Requirements:

It looks good, but seems expensive. It looks more for big business
who can afford to pay this every year. I was really wondering if
there was any software you just pay for once for home users, and then
it yours for keeps, that doesn't use a central company to send reports
to. Something that send the reports to an email address or web server
of your choice where you can receive the info by going online using a
different machine.

John