Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Cheat motherboard that 98FE is 98SE

Cheat motherboard that 98FE is 98SE

Ardent

Hi Friends

I just bought an Intel P4+ 845 board and tried to install Win98 first
edition but none of the drivers will load. The board specifies the
minimum requirement as Win98SE.

I have earlier tried 98FE, 98SE and XP and finally settled on 98FE as
it is less bloated that 98SE and meets all my needs admirably.

Is there anyway I can make the board think that I am installing
Win98SE though, in reality, I will be installing 98FE.

I am asking this because I understand 98FE and 98SE are not much
different except for improved USB and internet sharing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

--
Sandy Archer
Reply to newsgroups only

JTJersey

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:28:39 +0000, Ardent wrote:

> I just bought an Intel P4+ 845 board and tried to install Win98 first
> edition but none of the drivers will load. The board specifies the
> minimum requirement as Win98SE.

What difference would it make to the motherboard what operating system you
were using? Win95 and early 98 had some USB problems, but what if you
wanted to run Linux? What drivers aren't loading?

Thor

I STRONGLY suggest that at a minimum you either put SE on it, or else
reconsider XP. 98FE is already starting to be abandoned by peripheral and
other hardware makers, as you have discovered. Considering the speed of your
new configuration, the "bloat" difference (and there really isn't any)
between FE and SE will be imperceptible to you, and well worth the benefits
of not having to deal with problems similar to this later on. You are asking
for nothing but trouble by trying to get around the minimum requirements,
and what you will probably end up with is a mess of conflicts and driver
incompatibilities if you try and force the issue. If it were me, I'd ditch
98 altogether and go with XP. It's by far, more stable and far better suited
to that new hardware. I simply can't emphasize this strongly enough, Sandy.
XP is worlds better than 98. And you can set the interface to look just like
98's if you don't like the way XP normally looks.

"Ardent" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...

> Hi Friends
>
> I just bought an Intel P4+ 845 board and tried to install Win98 first
> edition but none of the drivers will load. The board specifies the
> minimum requirement as Win98SE.
>
> I have earlier tried 98FE, 98SE and XP and finally settled on 98FE as
> it is less bloated that 98SE and meets all my needs admirably.
>
> Is there anyway I can make the board think that I am installing
> Win98SE though, in reality, I will be installing 98FE.
>
> I am asking this because I understand 98FE and 98SE are not much
> different except for improved USB and internet sharing.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> --
> Sandy Archer
> Reply to newsgroups only

Thor

"JTJersey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2004.02.29.01.52.57.156415@anotherlinuxma chine.com...
> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:28:39 +0000, Ardent wrote:
>

> > I just bought an Intel P4+ 845 board and tried to install Win98 first
> > edition but none of the drivers will load. The board specifies the
> > minimum requirement as Win98SE.

> What difference would it make to the motherboard what operating system you
> were using? Win95 and early 98 had some USB problems, but what if you
> wanted to run Linux? What drivers aren't loading?

Well, the OS has to be able to load up drivers that work with the hardware.
Controllers, chipsets, etc. Win95 and 98 don't have the embedded drivers
necessary for complete support of newer boards, and as a result manufacturer
drivers have to be loaded for proper detection and operation of the
motherboard features. Without them you'll usually get unidentified and
unsupported debices listed in the device manager, or inadequate and outdated
driver support of those devices which hampers their performance. The drivers
aren't installing for her because they want Win98SE at a minimum. If one had
Linux, you would have to hope that your Linux distro would have the
necessary drivers included, otherwise you will have to seek out Linux
drivers from the motherboard manufacturer.

Michael-NC

"Ardent" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...

> Hi Friends
>
> I just bought an Intel P4+ 845 board and tried to install Win98 first
> edition but none of the drivers will load. The board specifies the
> minimum requirement as Win98SE.

If you can't get reference drivers written for 98FE, you're out of luck.

> I have earlier tried 98FE, 98SE and XP and finally settled on 98FE as
> it is less bloated that 98SE and meets all my needs admirably.

Well, 98FE is an old OS and you're only going to have more problems like
this, the longer you hold on. New hardware and old software don't always
play well together.

> Is there anyway I can make the board think that I am installing
> Win98SE though, in reality, I will be installing 98FE.

No, it's the hardware on the board that needs a driver for it to work
properly and as you say, there isn't one.

> I am asking this because I understand 98FE and 98SE are not much
> different except for improved USB and internet sharing.

True enough but if the driver is written for SE only and you say it won't
install on FE, you're either doing it wrong or it really won't load.

> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

3 Solutions, upgrade to XP and get used to it, (you really will) Load up
98SE and be done with it or go buy another motherboard that has 98FE drivers
written for it. Personally, I'd go for XP. It's a very flexible OS and once
you get used to it and have it set up the way you want, it's just there and
is not obtrusive

> Sandy Archer
> Reply to newsgroups only

JTJersey

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:10:43 -0500, Thor wrote:

> "JTJersey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsan.2004.02.29.01.52.57.156415@anotherlinuxma chine.com...
>> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:28:39 +0000, Ardent wrote:
>>

>> > I just bought an Intel P4+ 845 board and tried to install Win98 first
>> > edition but none of the drivers will load. The board specifies the
>> > minimum requirement as Win98SE.

>> What difference would it make to the motherboard what operating system
>> you were using? Win95 and early 98 had some USB problems, but what if
>> you wanted to run Linux? What drivers aren't loading?

> Well, the OS has to be able to load up drivers that work with the
> hardware. Controllers, chipsets, etc. Win95 and 98 don't have the
> embedded drivers necessary for complete support of newer boards, and as
> a result manufacturer drivers have to be loaded for proper detection and
> operation of the motherboard features. Without them you'll usually get
> unidentified and unsupported debices listed in the device manager, or
> inadequate and outdated driver support of those devices which hampers
> their performance. The drivers aren't installing for her because they
> want Win98SE at a minimum. If one had Linux, you would have to hope that
> your Linux distro would have the necessary drivers included, otherwise
> you will have to seek out Linux drivers from the motherboard
> manufacturer.

I was going to say that I never encountered that problem before, but I
did, in fact, have just that problem a month or so ago with a new board
using a Mandrake/Linux distro. An annoying experience to say the least.
You are, as usual, correct.
--
Registered Linux User #267152

Ardent

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 00:28:39 GMT, Ardent <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there anyway I can make the board think that I am installing
>Win98SE though, in reality, I will be installing 98FE.

Thanks everybody for taking time to answer my question. I agree about
the advisability of going for later software that has all the drivers
for the newer hardware.

Yet the (harmless) hacker in me wants to experiment with such things,
say for instance using a 98SE install with some 98FE files pulled in.
I know there are others like me and just wanted to know whether anyone
has tried it earlier.

--
Sandy Archer
Reply to newsgroups only

To cheat, or not to cheat? Mark MCAD 8 03-24-2006 09:12 PM
Win 98FE to Win98SE how? GrailKing@oops!.Not.The.Realm.net Computer Support 8 08-07-2003 11:30 PM
Re: Why the heck we should not cheat?? |{evin MCSE 2 07-14-2003 04:56 PM

Advertisments