Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Need Network Help

Need Network Help

coria1@tampabay.rr.com

Redid my home network yesterday when I gave the wife her own computer
running Windows XP Home. Plugged it into the Linksys Hub/Router and it
found and configured itself for the internet. Connected it to our old Xerox
multifunction printer with no problem and was able to set it up as a network
printer on my desktop and laptop without any problems. I can access shared
files on her computer from either of the other two but cannot access shared
files or the HP printer on my desktop which is running Win 2K. When I try
to access the files a window opens asking for a name and password. Where do
I enter this in my computer and more specifically how do I setup her
identity and password. Thanks in advance for you help. Fred

DeMoN LaG

"(E-Mail Removed)" <coria1atexecpc.com> wrote in news:EO10c.146528
$(E-Mail Removed):

> Where do
> I enter this in my computer and more specifically how do I setup her
> identity and password. Thanks in advance for you help. Fred

You have to create a user account for her, look in Computer Management
under Users and Groups. If you give her the same name and password on your
machine that she uses on her machine, she should be automatically logged in
when she accesses the share.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

coria1@tampabay.rr.com

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <coria1atexecpc.com> wrote in news:EO10c.146528
> $(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Where do
> > I enter this in my computer and more specifically how do I setup her
> > identity and password. Thanks in advance for you help. Fred
> >

> You have to create a user account for her, look in Computer Management
> under Users and Groups. If you give her the same name and password on

your
> machine that she uses on her machine, she should be automatically logged

in
> when she accesses the share.
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

Thanks, Demon. She does not have alog-in setup on her machine. It boots
directly to her desktop with out asking for a user name or password.
Suggestions???

Thor

"(E-Mail Removed)" <coria1atexecpc.com> wrote in message
news:sY90c.173235$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> > "(E-Mail Removed)" <coria1atexecpc.com> wrote in news:EO10c.146528
> > $(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> > > Where do
> > > I enter this in my computer and more specifically how do I setup her
> > > identity and password. Thanks in advance for you help. Fred
> > >

> > You have to create a user account for her, look in Computer Management
> > under Users and Groups. If you give her the same name and password on

> your
> > machine that she uses on her machine, she should be automatically logged

> in
> > when she accesses the share.
> >
> > --
> > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> > website: under construction
> > Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
> > email/IM for rates/services
> >

> Thanks, Demon. She does not have alog-in setup on her machine. It boots
> directly to her desktop with out asking for a user name or password.
> Suggestions???

You'll need to change that. On her machine go into the user accounts in the
control panel, and create a logon password while making note of her current
account/user name. Then create a user account for her on the Win2K machine
using that same exact username and password, then set the user permissions
for folder access (accessable on the sharing options). Once this is done,
when she logs onto her machine, the Win2K machine will recognize her login
and allow access to it's resources.

coria1@tampabay.rr.com

"> You'll need to change that. On her machine go into the user accounts in
the
> control panel, and create a logon password while making note of her

current
> account/user name. Then create a user account for her on the Win2K machine
> using that same exact username and password, then set the user permissions
> for folder access (accessable on the sharing options). Once this is done,
> when she logs onto her machine, the Win2K machine will recognize her login
> and allow access to it's resources.

Thanks, Thor. Will have a chance to try it tonight.