Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > HD Crashing

HD Crashing

SS

Hi -

I've an older AST Premmia that I'd like to squeeze some more life out of.

Recently I had a HD, a Maxtor (I believe), seize up. For several weeks
prior to failure, I noticed that the HD to be slowing down, speeding up and
"grinding", for lack of a more descriptive phrase.

I replaced it with a Fujitsu, and am now noticing the same speed variation.
I'm guessing that some sort of voltage fluctuation from the power supply is
causing this, although I've no way to test this.

My question - has anyone else experienced this and am I making a reasonable
diagnosis?

Thanks in advance,

-Eric

Computer Doctor

Hello Eric, first once the hard drive that was installed in the PC started
grinding you are on the right path of replacing the defective hard drive.
Now once the new replacement drive is installed you notice that the drive
was not performing at optimum speed. Questions? What is the size of the
"old" drive? What was the size of the "new" drive? Your unit is a older unit
and replacing the defective hard drive that doesn't match the new one can
cause problems on the IDE controller. I feel that the power supply that is
installed on this unit should be able to handle the hard drive without any
issues. And has no effect of "how fast the hard drive spins". There is a
device that checks the power supply voltage fluxes and it about $15 at your
near by computer store or online. Now on a final note hard drive performance
is powered by the PC processor, RAM (memory) and proper wattage of the power
supply used. And also I need to add that the operating system used can also
play a factor in hard drive performance. So in closing you are doing
everything right but if you can go online and if AST has a web site you can
check the parts that are installed in this PC and that will help in the
upgrading issues. Hope this helps...

Carlis
Computer Doctor

Wizard

Are you shitting me ???????????????

Computer Doctor wrote:

> Hello Eric, first once the hard drive that was installed in the PC started
> grinding you are on the right path of replacing the defective hard drive.
> Now once the new replacement drive is installed you notice that the drive
> was not performing at optimum speed. Questions? What is the size of the
> "old" drive? What was the size of the "new" drive? Your unit is a older unit
> and replacing the defective hard drive that doesn't match the new one can
> cause problems on the IDE controller.

Bullshit!

> I feel that the power supply that is
> installed on this unit should be able to handle the hard drive without any
> issues.
> And has no effect of "how fast the hard drive spins". There is a
> device that checks the power supply voltage fluxes

Fluxes ?????????????? What is the name of this device (can't be a
magnetometer, cause they cost a lot more than $15)

> and it about $15 at your
> near by computer store or online. Now on a final note hard drive performance
> is powered by the PC processor, RAM (memory) and proper wattage of the power
> supply used.

Nonsense!

> And also I need to add that the operating system used can also
> play a factor in hard drive performance.

More nonsense!

> So in closing you are doing
> everything right but if you can go online and if AST has a web site you can
> check the parts that are installed in this PC and that will help in the
> upgrading issues.

He ain't looking to upgrade anything ......

AST died long ago, was sold many times so their ain't gonna be no help
from them

> Hope this helps...
>
> Carlis
> Computer Doctor

Wizard

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

SS wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I've an older AST Premmia that I'd like to squeeze some more life out of.
>
> Recently I had a HD, a Maxtor (I believe), seize up. For several weeks
> prior to failure, I noticed that the HD to be slowing down, speeding up and
> "grinding", for lack of a more descriptive phrase.
>
> I replaced it with a Fujitsu, and am now noticing the same speed variation.
> I'm guessing that some sort of voltage fluctuation from the power supply is
> causing this, although I've no way to test this.
>
> My question - has anyone else experienced this and am I making a reasonable
> diagnosis?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -Eric

Thor

I'm curious as to whether the Fujitsu drive was actually a new one, old
stock, etc. Last I read, they had gotten out of the consumer IDE drive
market in 2001 to concentrate only on the SCSI enterprise and laptop drive
market. This happened not long after the fiasco they had with the faulty
Cirrus Logic controller chips causing millions of their drives to fail.
Indeed, checking Fujitsu's website reveals that only SCSI desktop and
Laptop/mobile ATA drives are available now.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/27926.html

http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/products...tment-faq.html

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.
>
> SS wrote:
> >
> > Hi -
> >
> > I've an older AST Premmia that I'd like to squeeze some more life out

of.

> > Recently I had a HD, a Maxtor (I believe), seize up. For several weeks
> > prior to failure, I noticed that the HD to be slowing down, speeding up

and
> > "grinding", for lack of a more descriptive phrase.
> >
> > I replaced it with a Fujitsu, and am now noticing the same speed

variation.
> > I'm guessing that some sort of voltage fluctuation from the power supply

is
> > causing this, although I've no way to test this.
> >
> > My question - has anyone else experienced this and am I making a

reasonable
> > diagnosis?
> >
> > Thanks in advance

> > -Eric

EG

Thanks - I priced a replacement for the entire Tiger power supply, but at
$100, it's not worth replacing. I'm better off buying a new (or newer)
computer.

You're right that AST died a long time ago, so chasing down a solution
involves a lot of time. At some point, fixing the old box just isn't worth
it anymore.

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.
>
> SS wrote:
> >
> > Hi -
> >
> > I've an older AST Premmia that I'd like to squeeze some more life out

of.

> > Recently I had a HD, a Maxtor (I believe), seize up. For several weeks
> > prior to failure, I noticed that the HD to be slowing down, speeding up

and
> > "grinding", for lack of a more descriptive phrase.
> >
> > I replaced it with a Fujitsu, and am now noticing the same speed

variation.
> > I'm guessing that some sort of voltage fluctuation from the power supply

is
> > causing this, although I've no way to test this.
> >
> > My question - has anyone else experienced this and am I making a

reasonable
> > diagnosis?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > -Eric

EG

Thanks - the Fujitsu drive was old stock, one that I had sitting around for
several years but never used. I looked at Fujitsu's web site for downloads
of any sort, but the drive isn't supported anymore.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm curious as to whether the Fujitsu drive was actually a new one, old
> stock, etc. Last I read, they had gotten out of the consumer IDE drive
> market in 2001 to concentrate only on the SCSI enterprise and laptop drive
> market. This happened not long after the fiasco they had with the faulty
> Cirrus Logic controller chips causing millions of their drives to fail.
> Indeed, checking Fujitsu's website reveals that only SCSI desktop and
> Laptop/mobile ATA drives are available now.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/27926.html

http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/products...tment-faq.html

> ..
> "Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.
> >
> > SS wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi -
> > >
> > > I've an older AST Premmia that I'd like to squeeze some more life out

> of.
> > >
> > > Recently I had a HD, a Maxtor (I believe), seize up. For several

weeks
> > > prior to failure, I noticed that the HD to be slowing down, speeding

up
> and
> > > "grinding", for lack of a more descriptive phrase.
> > >
> > > I replaced it with a Fujitsu, and am now noticing the same speed

> variation.
> > > I'm guessing that some sort of voltage fluctuation from the power

supply
> is
> > > causing this, although I've no way to test this.
> > >
> > > My question - has anyone else experienced this and am I making a

> reasonable
> > > diagnosis?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance

> > > -Eric

Firefox crashing - safe mode? Z Firefox 2 02-15-2005 08:37 PM
FireFox Crashing Joe Jance Firefox 2 06-19-2004 10:20 AM
Random links crashing Mozilla Leif K-Brooks Firefox 0 12-22-2003 06:13 PM
Mac 1.5RC2 download crashing issues sport0boy@netscape.net Firefox 4 10-14-2003 08:20 PM
SICK of Mizilla crashing Thomas Curmudgeon Firefox 4 09-29-2003 12:28 AM

Advertisments