Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > windows update.

windows update.

kyote

I always retrieve all updates from the windows update site. Well, I
just went there to see if there were any critical updates and I got
the popup that comes to install the latest scanning engine for
checking to be sure you have the latest updates. Now, like I said, I
always get all the updates, so I was wondering why my scan software
needed updated as if i had never gotten an update on a freshly
restored machine.... I looked at the date on the 'Certificate' and it
was over a year old. Normally I might not be to worried about it, but
I've been getting ALOT, 4 or 5 a day, of e-mail with attached virus's
in the past 2 weeks. Does anyone know what's going on? Am I right to
have denied this new scanning program from being installed?
TIA
-------

Kyote.sends("Greetings");
___________________________

Thor

Its totally normal for the windows update site to periodically initiate an
update of the software that the site uses to detemine what updates you need.
If you want to use the update site effectively, you should allow the update
of the scanning software to occur.

"kyote" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I always retrieve all updates from the windows update site. Well, I
> just went there to see if there were any critical updates and I got
> the popup that comes to install the latest scanning engine for
> checking to be sure you have the latest updates. Now, like I said, I
> always get all the updates, so I was wondering why my scan software
> needed updated as if i had never gotten an update on a freshly
> restored machine.... I looked at the date on the 'Certificate' and it
> was over a year old. Normally I might not be to worried about it, but
> I've been getting ALOT, 4 or 5 a day, of e-mail with attached virus's
> in the past 2 weeks. Does anyone know what's going on? Am I right to
> have denied this new scanning program from being installed?
> TIA
> -------
>
> Kyote.sends("Greetings");
> ___________________________

kyote

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:10:45 -0500, "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Its totally normal for the windows update site to periodically initiate an
>update of the software that the site uses to detemine what updates you need.
>If you want to use the update site effectively, you should allow the update
>of the scanning software to occur.

Even with an outdated certificate? outdated by a year?

Nik Vansevenant

kyote <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> I always retrieve all updates from the windows update site. Well, I
> just went there to see if there were any critical updates and I got
> the popup that comes to install the latest scanning engine for
> checking to be sure you have the latest updates. Now, like I said, I
> always get all the updates, so I was wondering why my scan software
> needed updated as if i had never gotten an update on a freshly
> restored machine.... I looked at the date on the 'Certificate' and it
> was over a year old. Normally I might not be to worried about it, but
> I've been getting ALOT, 4 or 5 a day, of e-mail with attached virus's
> in the past 2 weeks. Does anyone know what's going on? Am I right to
> have denied this new scanning program from being installed?
> TIA
> -------
>
> Kyote.sends("Greetings");
> ___________________________

Have the same problem,you think is a update but is not is worm.i don't
know where they come from.MY norton is working perfect so maybe the
whole thing will pass bye.
Just deleted them.
greetings
http://users.pandora.be/nik_vansevenant/doorsawake[2].HTML

Thor

As far as I know It's only "outdated" if internet explorer pops up and tells
you that the certificate has "expired", based on it's digital signature and
how it is registered with the author. Otherwise, it doesn't necessarily have
to have a recent date on the certificate. If you are certain that you are on
the actual windows update website, and not some imitation site meant to
deceive you, then it's most likely a legitemate certificate. Are you getting
an "expired" message or are you merely concerned with the date? Also, you
can get bogus "expired" certificate warnings if your own browser is out of
date or not functioning properly for authenticating digitally signed
controls.

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:13:40 -0500, "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>As far as I know It's only "outdated" if internet explorer pops up and tells
>you that the certificate has "expired", based on it's digital signature and
>how it is registered with the author. Otherwise, it doesn't necessarily have
>to have a recent date on the certificate. If you are certain that you are on
>the actual windows update website, and not some imitation site meant to
>deceive you, then it's most likely a legitemate certificate. Are you getting
>an "expired" message or are you merely concerned with the date? Also, you
>can get bogus "expired" certificate warnings if your own browser is out of
>date or not functioning properly for authenticating digitally signed
>controls.

When it pops up it shows the date the control was signed, which was
last year. Something like that anyway. I did accept it, finally. No
immediate problems and Norton hasn't noticed anything. lol
paranoia.... I don't even know why I'm worried. I don't have anything
that important on here. God Bless you and thanks for the advice.