Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Dumb Question

Dumb Question

Aclamusr

Hello,

This is going to sound like an awfully dumb question, but I have only been a
computer owner for two months.

I am getting ready to move to another apartment. This means I will be
unplugging my computer, getting all the parts together, boxing them up, and
moving them to my new apartment.

Question. Does everything I have "saved" on my computer automatically "erase"
when I unplug it?

When I move into my new apartment and get it all hooked up, will everything I
saved still be there?

I would think so. But I was so unsure last night that I even had a nightmare
about it.

Laura

Serok4242

"Aclamusr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> This is going to sound like an awfully dumb question, but I have only been

> computer owner for two months.
>
> I am getting ready to move to another apartment. This means I will be
> unplugging my computer, getting all the parts together, boxing them up,

and
> moving them to my new apartment.
>
> Question. Does everything I have "saved" on my computer automatically

"erase"
> when I unplug it?
>
> When I move into my new apartment and get it all hooked up, will

everything I
> saved still be there?
>
> I would think so. But I was so unsure last night that I even had a

nightmare
> about it.

It will be fine.....Ive had a computer unplugged for years and the info was
still there....the hard drive in a computer doesnt rely on power to save
your information...

serok

Basket Case

"Aclamusr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> This is going to sound like an awfully dumb question, but I have only been

> computer owner for two months.
>
> I am getting ready to move to another apartment. This means I will be
> unplugging my computer, getting all the parts together, boxing them up,

and
> moving them to my new apartment.
>
> Question. Does everything I have "saved" on my computer automatically

"erase"
> when I unplug it?
>
> When I move into my new apartment and get it all hooked up, will

everything I
> saved still be there?
>
> I would think so. But I was so unsure last night that I even had a

nightmare
> about it.
>
> Laura

Yes, your data will be fine when you unplug your computer. Files are stored
magnetically on your hard disk, somewhat similar to the way music was stored
on the old cassette tapes.

-BC

mbowen83

"Aclamusr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> This is going to sound like an awfully dumb question, but I have only been

> computer owner for two months.
>
> I am getting ready to move to another apartment. This means I will be
> unplugging my computer, getting all the parts together, boxing them up,

and
> moving them to my new apartment.
>
> Question. Does everything I have "saved" on my computer automatically

"erase"
> when I unplug it?
>
> When I move into my new apartment and get it all hooked up, will

everything I
> saved still be there?
>
> I would think so. But I was so unsure last night that I even had a

nightmare
> about it.
>
> Laura

Just don't get it near any strong magnets and you will be fine.

mbowen83

Michael-NC

If you have anything important on your computer, learn how to back it up.
Your data is on a hard drive that doesn't lose data when it's unplugged but
they break all the time and then your data will be lost.

"Aclamusr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> This is going to sound like an awfully dumb question, but I have only been

> computer owner for two months.
>
> I am getting ready to move to another apartment. This means I will be
> unplugging my computer, getting all the parts together, boxing them up,

and
> moving them to my new apartment.
>
> Question. Does everything I have "saved" on my computer automatically

"erase"
> when I unplug it?
>
> When I move into my new apartment and get it all hooked up, will

everything I
> saved still be there?
>
> I would think so. But I was so unsure last night that I even had a

nightmare
> about it.
>
> Laura

Basket Case

"Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:W860c.37738$%(E-Mail Removed). com...
> If you have anything important on your computer, learn how to back it up.
> Your data is on a hard drive that doesn't lose data when it's unplugged

but
> they break all the time and then your data will be lost.
>

> "Aclamusr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > This is going to sound like an awfully dumb question, but I have only

been
> > computer owner for two months.
> >
> > I am getting ready to move to another apartment. This means I will be
> > unplugging my computer, getting all the parts together, boxing them up,

> and
> > moving them to my new apartment.
> >
> > Question. Does everything I have "saved" on my computer automatically

> "erase"
> > when I unplug it?
> >
> > When I move into my new apartment and get it all hooked up, will

> everything I
> > saved still be there?
> >
> > I would think so. But I was so unsure last night that I even had a

> nightmare
> > about it.
> >
> > Laura

I wouldn't say they 'break all the time'. They should last a good 3-5 years
at least. Even still, it is a good idea to get into a habit of backing up
your data to prepare for the inevitable.

-BC

Michael-NC

"Basket Case" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Michael-NC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:W860c.37738$%(E-Mail Removed). com...
> > If you have anything important on your computer, learn how to back it

up.
> > Your data is on a hard drive that doesn't lose data when it's unplugged

> but
> > they break all the time and then your data will be lost.
> >

> > "Aclamusr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > This is going to sound like an awfully dumb question, but I have only

> been
> > > computer owner for two months.
> > >
> > > I am getting ready to move to another apartment. This means I will

be
> > > unplugging my computer, getting all the parts together, boxing them

up,
> > and
> > > moving them to my new apartment.
> > >
> > > Question. Does everything I have "saved" on my computer

automatically
> > "erase"
> > > when I unplug it?
> > >
> > > When I move into my new apartment and get it all hooked up, will

> > everything I
> > > saved still be there?
> > >
> > > I would think so. But I was so unsure last night that I even had a

> > nightmare
> > > about it.
> > >
> > > Laura

> I wouldn't say they 'break all the time'. They should last a good 3-5

years
> at least. Even still, it is a good idea to get into a habit of backing up
> your data to prepare for the inevitable.
>
> -BC

I _will_ say they break all the time and you should _assume_ it will break
the next time you boot your computer. Data on a hard drive is not safe.

Professor

You don't have to do anything as nothing on the hard drive changes when you
unplug your computer. There is also a small coin battery inside the computer
on the motherboard that saves your bios settings and keeps the time and date
going when the computer is not on. As long as you handle the computer
gently so nothing is broken, it will not even know you moved it.

Dumb, Dumb Vista Au79 Computer Support 4 02-11-2007 03:40 PM
Probably a dumb s/// question. Mark Healey Perl 2 03-16-2005 04:51 PM
Dumb, dumb dumb Qestion David Napierkowski Digital Photography 6 10-31-2004 11:14 PM
Re: Dumb question Walter Roberson Cisco 1 07-23-2003 01:05 PM

Advertisments