Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Strange problem with DVD-ROM

Strange problem with DVD-ROM

Kevin M

Hello
After installing a DVD-ROM and PowerDVD on a Win98 machine, I get the
following error when I try to play a DVD "ASPI for windows not available"
"Only 32 bit cd rom driver supported"

The drive works fine as a CD-ROM and shows up correctly in Device manager.

I've used the same components before and never had a problem like this.

Also, how can one tell if a device is running in 32-bit mode?

Thank you
Kevin

Kevin M

Also, the ASPI.vxd driver is loaded in the Windows/system/iosubsys
directory.

Thanks
"Kevin M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
> After installing a DVD-ROM and PowerDVD on a Win98 machine, I get the
> following error when I try to play a DVD "ASPI for windows not available"
> "Only 32 bit cd rom driver supported"
>
> The drive works fine as a CD-ROM and shows up correctly in Device manager.
>
> I've used the same components before and never had a problem like this.
>
> Also, how can one tell if a device is running in 32-bit mode?
>
> Thank you
> Kevin

Thor

Make sure the drive isn't stuck running in MSDOS compatibility mode. Go to
the system properties, click on the performance tab, and check for any
alerts about drives running in compatibility mode. If they are running that
mode, it isn't using a 32bit protected mode driver. The causes can be
viruses, or conflicts with the IDE controllers (may be indicated by yellow
warning flags on the controllers in the device manager), or a real-mode
driver loading at startup that is conflicting with the windows built-in
driver. As for the ASPI drivers, you can try going to Adaptec's website and
try downloading the latest ASPI driver set.

"Kevin M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
> After installing a DVD-ROM and PowerDVD on a Win98 machine, I get the
> following error when I try to play a DVD "ASPI for windows not available"
> "Only 32 bit cd rom driver supported"
>
> The drive works fine as a CD-ROM and shows up correctly in Device manager.
>
> I've used the same components before and never had a problem like this.
>
> Also, how can one tell if a device is running in 32-bit mode?
>
> Thank you
> Kevin

Trent©

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:17:59 -0500, "Kevin M" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hello
>After installing a DVD-ROM and PowerDVD on a Win98 machine, I get the
>following error when I try to play a DVD "ASPI for windows not available"
>"Only 32 bit cd rom driver supported"

What make and model?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Kevin M

The model is a Toshiba SD-M1402. I downloaded the ASPI drivers, I see
nothing wrong in device manager and I see nothing indicating a problem in
the performance tab. Still get the error.

Thanks so much

"Trent©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:17:59 -0500, "Kevin M" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello
> >After installing a DVD-ROM and PowerDVD on a Win98 machine, I get the
> >following error when I try to play a DVD "ASPI for windows not available"
> >"Only 32 bit cd rom driver supported"

> What make and model?
>

> Have a nice week...
>
> Trent
>
> Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

Wizard

Remove any associated drives from config.sys and autoexec.bat. (dos mode
stuff)

Kevin M wrote:

> Hello
> After installing a DVD-ROM and PowerDVD on a Win98 machine, I get the
> following error when I try to play a DVD "ASPI for windows not available"
> "Only 32 bit cd rom driver supported"
>
> The drive works fine as a CD-ROM and shows up correctly in Device manager.
>
> I've used the same components before and never had a problem like this.
>
> Also, how can one tell if a device is running in 32-bit mode?
>
> Thank you
> Kevin

Trent©

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:09:49 -0500, "Kevin M" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The model is a Toshiba SD-M1402. I downloaded the ASPI drivers, I see
>nothing wrong in device manager and I see nothing indicating a problem in
>the performance tab. Still get the error.

Try un and re installing Power DVD.

Also, try another DVD player program.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Fred

"Kevin M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
> After installing a DVD-ROM and PowerDVD on a Win98 machine, I get the
> following error when I try to play a DVD "ASPI for windows not available"
> "Only 32 bit cd rom driver supported"
>
> The drive works fine as a CD-ROM and shows up correctly in Device manager.
>
> I've used the same components before and never had a problem like this.
>
> Also, how can one tell if a device is running in 32-bit mode?
>
> Thank you
> Kevin

Do you have a VIA chipset motherboard by any chance? If so you might want to
check that your motherboard drivers are up to date.
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2