Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Dual Channel Memory

Dual Channel Memory

DiddyS

Hi,

I'm about to build a new computer using an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard
and intend to install 1GB of DDR memory.

I understand that this motherboard uses dual channel memory and therefore I
need two 512 Mb memory modules.

I've been told that I need to buy a pair of "matched" memory modules for
this to work properly. Is this correct or can I just use a pair of memory
modules of the same size and make, but not sold as a matched pair? What
difference does it make?

TIA,

Derek

DeMoN LaG

"DiddyS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:dH5%b.20499$cb.5679
@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk:

> I've been told that I need to buy a pair of "matched" memory modules for
> this to work properly. Is this correct or can I just use a pair of memory
> modules of the same size and make, but not sold as a matched pair? What
> difference does it make?

A matched pair are guarenteed to work together. If I were you, I'd just go
to Crucial and buy two sticks of 512 megs each of PC3200 DDR RAM. The odds
of you buying two sticks of RAM at the same time from the same high quality
vendor, even not a "matched" pair, and having them not work flawlessly
together is on the low side of things.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Thor

Besides Demon's good advice, understand that it's not a *requirement* to use
dual channel on the A7N8X. You can use a single stick or multiple sticks in
single channel mode.

"DiddyS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dH5%b.20499$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to build a new computer using an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard
> and intend to install 1GB of DDR memory.
>
> I understand that this motherboard uses dual channel memory and therefore

> need two 512 Mb memory modules.
>
> I've been told that I need to buy a pair of "matched" memory modules for
> this to work properly. Is this correct or can I just use a pair of memory
> modules of the same size and make, but not sold as a matched pair? What
> difference does it make?
>
> TIA,
>

> Derek

DiddyS

Hi,

Thanks for your comments,

Derek

"DiddyS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dH5%b.20499$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to build a new computer using an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard
> and intend to install 1GB of DDR memory.
>
> I understand that this motherboard uses dual channel memory and therefore

> need two 512 Mb memory modules.
>
> I've been told that I need to buy a pair of "matched" memory modules for
> this to work properly. Is this correct or can I just use a pair of memory
> modules of the same size and make, but not sold as a matched pair? What
> difference does it make?
>
> TIA,
>

> Derek

bmoag

Most dual channel motherboards have 3 slots and require two memory sticks of
the same capacity and speed in 2 of the slots. What is never clear is
whether you lose the dual rate if you place a memory chip in the third slot
.. . . .

Thor

"bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Spz%b.17642$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Most dual channel motherboards have 3 slots and require two memory sticks

of
> the same capacity and speed in 2 of the slots. What is never clear is
> whether you lose the dual rate if you place a memory chip in the third

slot

With the A7N8X I believe you get dual channel on the pair in the blue slots,
and single channel on the black slot when all three are filled.