Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > consequences replacing SAM files

consequences replacing SAM files

OliviaJaq

hello,
I purchased a system at an auction of a closed business last week. It was
posted as running win98se, but actually has 2000 pro on it with a password.
Since i don't have a 2000 disc and wanted to take a look at it(and wasn't
expecting to need a password) . i took the HDD out of it and installed it as a
slave to my own system. i fooled around a bit to try and find or bypass the
password until i decided to just take the SAM and System files from the REPAIR
folder and placed them in the winnt/system32/config folder replacing those
files. I reinstalled the drive and I can now get on to the system and their
appears to be no problems. Just curious if there is something that could come
up, what to expect maybe. Or better yet, what i should look for to be sure all
is ok
tia

DeMoN LaG

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (OliviaJaq) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Just curious if there is something that could come
> up, what to expect maybe. Or better yet, what i should look for to be
> sure all is ok

Any folders that were encrypted are lost, as you have removed the user
account information about them. You may have to take ownership of some
files and folders or else you won't be able to access them.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

OliviaJaq

>Any folders that were encrypted are lost, as you have removed the user
>account information about them. You may have to take ownership of some
>files and folders or else you won't be able to access them.

that would be ok though, right?
I mean, I only care to use the base OS. I've already deleted tons of things I
don't need and intend on removing and re-installing many apps, like ms office
and such.
as far as the OS's operation. So far it seems pretty clean, I deleted all other
listed users and any related settings. i'm almost down to the bare OS.
If I'm good to go, this was kind of simple.
thanks