Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Is HP or EMachine Better?

Is HP or EMachine Better?

Kailey11

I am considering both. They have similar specs but the Emachine has a 120 gig
hard drive while the HP has 80. Which is more reliable and has the better tech
support? Thanks!

Computer Doctor

Kailey11, please buy the HP unit by all means. The EMachine has the better
price but it does comes with a lot of issues as well and doesn't have the
best tech support. HP which also have Compaq computers is the better choice
and if you need more hard drive space you can always upgrade at a later
time. HP units also have better tech support as well.

Carlis
Computer Doctor

Thor

LOL, IMHO that's like trying to decide which smells worse, dog ****, or cat
****. I think both brands are probably on-par with each other
reliability-wise. I've had to work on a lot more HPs, but that's because
there are a lot more HPs out there in people's homes and offices than
E-Machines. I Hate em' both, because they often use the cheapest parts out
there, (with the exception of when HP was using chiefly Asus boards in their
Pavilions), often have cheap barely adeqate power supplies (replaced a bunch
of HP and Emachine PSUs over the years), and often use cramped cases that
make adding cards or upgrading a pain in the ass.

"Kailey11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am considering both. They have similar specs but the Emachine has a 120

gig
> hard drive while the HP has 80. Which is more reliable and has the better

tech
> support? Thanks!

DeMoN LaG

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I Hate em' both, because they often use the cheapest parts out
> there, (with the exception of when HP was using chiefly Asus boards in
> their Pavilions), often have cheap barely adeqate power supplies
> (replaced a bunch of HP and Emachine PSUs over the years), and often
> use cramped cases that make adding cards or upgrading a pain in the
> ass.

With older emachines I found the only major problem was they would sell you
a Celeron 450 with 10 gig hard drive and Windows 98, buncha "free"
applications, and give you 32 megs of RAM to run it on. Spend another $60
out of pocket to go to 128/192/256, the machines ran great!

I am liking the new emachines more and more, and I don't think anyone makes
a better laptop than eMachine's new A64 laptop, though we'll see in a few
years how reliable they are.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Wizard

X-No-Archive:Yes

Here are my personal ratings based on Performance, Quality, Tech Support
and compatibility. 10 = Best, 0 = DO NOT BUY (even if free):

Dell ................. 7.9 (fails in Customer/tech support)
Micron ............... 7.5 (inflexible and pricey)
IBM .................. 6.5
Gateway .............. 5.9
Compaq ............... 5.2
Acer ................. 4.9
Sony ................. 4.2
AOpen ................ 3.9
EMachines ............ 3.0
HP ................... 2.9
NEC/Packard Bell ..... 2.0
Daewoo ............... 0.2 (anything from them)

Shop/Custom built machines are impossible to give a general rating
because they are all different and vary daily, although it is here that
you find the ratings of 9's and 10's..

Kailey11 wrote:

> I am considering both. They have similar specs but the Emachine has a 120 gig
> hard drive while the HP has 80. Which is more reliable and has the better tech
> support? Thanks!

olfart

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I Hate em' both, because they often use the cheapest parts out
> > there, (with the exception of when HP was using chiefly Asus boards in
> > their Pavilions), often have cheap barely adeqate power supplies
> > (replaced a bunch of HP and Emachine PSUs over the years), and often
> > use cramped cases that make adding cards or upgrading a pain in the
> > ass.
> >

> With older emachines I found the only major problem was they would sell

you
> a Celeron 450 with 10 gig hard drive and Windows 98, buncha "free"
> applications, and give you 32 megs of RAM to run it on. Spend another $60
> out of pocket to go to 128/192/256, the machines ran great!
>
> I am liking the new emachines more and more, and I don't think anyone

makes
> a better laptop than eMachine's new A64 laptop, though we'll see in a few
> years how reliable they are.
>
> --

I've got 2 eMachines (400mhz) both about 5 yrs old. Upped the Ram to 160meg.
One HD recently went bad-other than that-no problems for general and web
use. Can't update the video, but am not into gaming anyway.

chuckieŽ

I'll second 'Thor's' comment, and say go with neither...

"Kailey11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am considering both. They have similar specs but the Emachine has a 120 gig
> hard drive while the HP has 80. Which is more reliable and has the better tech
> support? Thanks!

Alex Devlin

On 24 Feb 2004, Wizard wrote:

> X-No-Archive:Yes
>
> Here are my personal ratings based on Performance, Quality, Tech
> Support and compatibility. 10 = Best, 0 = DO NOT BUY (even if free):
>
> Dell ................. 7.9 (fails in Customer/tech support)
> Micron ............... 7.5 (inflexible and pricey)
> IBM .................. 6.5
> Gateway .............. 5.9
> Compaq ............... 5.2
> Acer ................. 4.9
> Sony ................. 4.2
> AOpen ................ 3.9
> EMachines ............ 3.0
> HP ................... 2.9
> NEC/Packard Bell ..... 2.0
> Daewoo ............... 0.2 (anything from them)
>
> Shop/Custom built machines are impossible to give a general rating
> because they are all different and vary daily, although it is here
> that you find the ratings of 9's and 10's..

I work with a guy that used to work for tech support for Dell.
He mentioned that Dell, Gateway and Compaq are all built in the same
factory and the tech support works out of the same call center. He had a
person sitting on one side of him that answered Gateway calls and another
close by that answered Compaq calls.

No idea if it's true or not, just passing on the info.

--
Alex Devlin

Good friends will bail you out of jail...
... True friends will be sitting there with you saying "Damn. That was
fun!"

BillKirch

I hate Dell. If you buy an internal DVD burner you have to buy THIER DVD
Burner. Same with just about every Peripheral.

BG

Michael-NC

"Alex Devlin" <Alex@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). net...
> I work with a guy that used to work for tech support for Dell.
> He mentioned that Dell, Gateway and Compaq are all built in the same
> factory and the tech support works out of the same call center. He had a
> person sitting on one side of him that answered Gateway calls and another
> close by that answered Compaq calls.
>
> No idea if it's true or not, just passing on the info.
>
> --
> Alex Devlin

No, it's not true at all.