Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Retrieve POP Mail from Yahoo

Retrieve POP Mail from Yahoo

mcp6453

Is it possible to use Outlook or a similar email client to retrieve mail
from a free Yahoo account?

DeMoN LaG

mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Is it possible to use Outlook or a similar email client to retrieve mail
> from a free Yahoo account?

There is an open source project somewhere out there that lets you do this,
but the name escapes me. Google for it, you should find something useful.
--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Wizard

Yes. Yahoo has instructions on it's site (somewhere).

mcp6453 wrote:

> Is it possible to use Outlook or a similar email client to retrieve mail
> from a free Yahoo account?

Computer Doctor

Thanks to Wizard here are the instructions for setting up Yahoo Internet
Email on Outlook Express ONLY. Once setup you can Import this information to
Outlook 2000, XP, or 2003 versions.

Outlook Express allows you to add a new email account to your existing
profile. This means you do not have to replace your current settings in
order to send and receive Yahoo! Mail messages. Here's how:
1.. From the Tools menu, choose "Accounts."
2.. Select the "Mail" tab.
3.. Click the "Add" button.
4.. From the Add menu, click "Mail."
5.. In the text box labeled Display Name, type your name and click "Next."
6.. In the Email Address box, type your Yahoo! Mail address (be sure to
include "@yahoo.com") and click "Next."
7.. Under "My incoming mail server is a..." select "POP3."
8.. Type "pop.mail.yahoo.com" in the Incoming Mail (POP3, IMAP, or HTTP)
Server box.
9.. Type "smtp.mail.yahoo.com" in the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server box.
10.. Click "Next."
11.. In the Account Name box, type your Yahoo! Mail ID (your email address
without the "@yahoo.com").
12.. In the Password box, type your Yahoo! Mail password.
13.. If you want Outlook Express to remember your password, check the
"Remember password" box.
14.. Do not check the boxes labeled "Log on using Secure..."
15.. Click "Next."
16.. Click "Finish."
Important: The Yahoo! Mail SMTP server now requires authentication. To turn
this setting on:

1.. From the Tools menu, choose "Accounts."
2.. Select the "Mail" tab.
3.. Double-click the account labeled "pop.mail.yahoo.com."
4.. Select the "Servers" tab.
5.. Check the box next to "My Server Requires Authentication."
6.. Click "OK."
To control deletion of messages from the Yahoo! Mail Server:

1.. From the Tools menu, choose "Accounts."
2.. Select the "Mail" tab.
3.. Double-click the account labeled "pop.mail.yahoo.com."
4.. Select the "Advanced" tab.
5.. In the Delivery section at the bottom of the window, check "Leave a
copy of messages on server" if you want to save your Yahoo! Mail messages on
the Yahoo! Mail server as well as on your local computer. Do not check this
box if you want your messages to be deleted from the Yahoo! Mail server once
you have received them in Outlook Express.

Carlis
Computer Doctor

Basket Case

"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to use Outlook or a similar email client to retrieve mail
> from a free Yahoo account?

No. You must subscribe to Mail Plus.

-BC

DeMoN LaG

"Computer Doctor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ERI_b.5159$(E-Mail Removed) .com:

> Thanks to Wizard here are the instructions for setting up Yahoo
> Internet Email on Outlook Express ONLY. Once setup you can Import this
> information to Outlook 2000, XP, or 2003 versions.

This doesn't work unless you have paid for an account with Yahoo to give
you POP3 access.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
email/IM for rates/services

Wizard

Nonsense!

Basket Case wrote:

> "mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is it possible to use Outlook or a similar email client to retrieve mail
> > from a free Yahoo account?

> No. You must subscribe to Mail Plus.
>
> -BC

Basket Case

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nonsense!
>
> Basket Case wrote:
> >
> > "mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Is it possible to use Outlook or a similar email client to retrieve

mail
> > > from a free Yahoo account?

> > No. You must subscribe to Mail Plus.
> >
> > -BC

Wizard,

1) Stop top-posting
2) http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/

-BC

DeMoN LaG

Wizard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:403BC046.63F14612
@stinking.ads.com:

> Nonsense!

It was nonsense a few years ago, yahoo has since dropped free POP and SMTP
access.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
email/IM for rates/services

Trent©

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:13:45 -0600, "Basket Case"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is it possible to use Outlook or a similar email client to retrieve mail
>> from a free Yahoo account?

>No. You must subscribe to Mail Plus.
>
>-BC

For a FREE account?