Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How do you custmize User Settings?

How do you custmize User Settings?

Travis Nowicki

Dear All

        &n bsp;       I would like to know how to customize Windows 98SE user settings.  I have a learner that wants to know how to use a computer and I need a way to uninstal progams on the learners desktop without unistaling progams from the master logon.  any links would be helful or downloads.

-Travis Nowicki

Duane Arnold

Travis Nowicki <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Dear All
> bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I would like to know how to customize Windows
> 98SE user settings.&nbsp; I have a learner that wants to know how to
> use a computer and I need a way to uninstal progams on the learners
> desktop without unistaling progams from the master logon.&nbsp; any
> links would be helful or downloads. <p>-Travis Nowicki&nbsp;
>
> Attachment decoded: untitled-1.htm

The last time I look at a Win 9'x O/S, it had no features as that. The O/S
doesn't have user accounts that can be set for each user that can login and
provide profiles as to what each user can or cannot do while on the
computer. If you want that kind of feature, then the machine needs to be
running a MS NT based O/S with those features.

Duane

Chris B

Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Xns94979190744E2notmwnotmecom@204.127.204.17 >...

> Travis Nowicki <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
> > Dear All
> > bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I would like to know how to customize Windows
> > 98SE user settings.&nbsp; I have a learner that wants to know how to
> > use a computer and I need a way to uninstal progams on the learners
> > desktop without unistaling progams from the master logon.&nbsp; any
> > links would be helful or downloads. <p>-Travis Nowicki&nbsp;
> >
> > Attachment decoded: untitled-1.htm
> >

> The last time I look at a Win 9'x O/S, it had no features as that. The O/S
> doesn't have user accounts that can be set for each user that can login and
> provide profiles as to what each user can or cannot do while on the
> computer. If you want that kind of feature, then the machine needs to be
> running a MS NT based O/S with those features.
>
> Duane

You must not have looked very closely...
A quick search on Google of "Windows 98 User Profile" returns ~400,000
results.
duhh..

All of the Win 9x's DO have features designed exactly for that
purpose.
Why do you think they have a logon/password prompt function at all if
it doesn't
DO anything? - obviously the original poster knows about different
logons and wants them to see different things - Win 9x has always
supported this. (!)

* Try Control-Panel --> Users (or Profiles - forget exactly what it's
called)

You can configure profiles which specify "User Customisations" - in
other words - what icons will be seen on the desktop and what entries
will be shown in the Start Menu for each different user that logs in.

It is a long way from the "proper" (being generous here) multi-user
capability in NT/XP - but for the purposes described - customising
what the desktop/start menu looks like based on which user is logged
in - it is perfectly adequate.

You need to enable this first (in the control-panel applet 'Users'),
but you sure don't need to buy an "NT based" Windows to have more than
one user and set of preferences. (A Profile in other words). Once you
have it turned on, you can just login with the learning username - and
remove the icons from the desktop or start menu that you don't want
that logon to see. NB do NOT uninstall the application - just drag the
icons to the recycle bin. The OS will then keep a separate folder for
each user's desktop (and other cosmetic settings) in the folder
C:\Windows\Profiles.

.... C B

Duane Arnold

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Chris B) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<Xns94979190744E2notmwnotmecom@204.127.204.17 >...
>
>> Travis Nowicki <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
>> > Dear All
>> > ;&n bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I would like to know how to customize
>> > Windows 98SE user settings.&nbsp; I have a learner that wants to
>> > know how to use a computer and I need a way to uninstal progams on
>> > the learners desktop without unistaling progams from the master
>> > logon.&nbsp; any links would be helful or downloads. <p>-Travis
>> > Nowicki&nbsp;
>> >
>> > Attachment decoded: untitled-1.htm
>> >

>> The last time I look at a Win 9'x O/S, it had no features as that.
>> The O/S doesn't have user accounts that can be set for each user that
>> can login and provide profiles as to what each user can or cannot do
>> while on the computer. If you want that kind of feature, then the
>> machine needs to be running a MS NT based O/S with those features.
>>
>> Duane

> You must not have looked very closely...
> A quick search on Google of "Windows 98 User Profile" returns ~400,000
> results.
> duhh..
>
> All of the Win 9x's DO have features designed exactly for that
> purpose.
> Why do you think they have a logon/password prompt function at all if
> it doesn't
> DO anything? - obviously the original poster knows about different
> logons and wants them to see different things - Win 9x has always
> supported this. (!)
>
> * Try Control-Panel --> Users (or Profiles - forget exactly what it's
> called)
>
> You can configure profiles which specify "User Customisations" - in
> other words - what icons will be seen on the desktop and what entries
> will be shown in the Start Menu for each different user that logs in.
>
> It is a long way from the "proper" (being generous here) multi-user
> capability in NT/XP - but for the purposes described - customising
> what the desktop/start menu looks like based on which user is logged
> in - it is perfectly adequate.
>
> You need to enable this first (in the control-panel applet 'Users'),
> but you sure don't need to buy an "NT based" Windows to have more than
> one user and set of preferences. (A Profile in other words). Once you
> have it turned on, you can just login with the learning username - and
> remove the icons from the desktop or start menu that you don't want
> that logon to see. NB do NOT uninstall the application - just drag the
> icons to the recycle bin. The OS will then keep a separate folder for
> each user's desktop (and other cosmetic settings) in the folder
> C:\Windows\Profiles.
>

> ... C B

The last time I saw Win 98 was in the late 90's and it didn't last long!
And to be honest about this, I don't want to know anything about it
again. <g> That's nothing against you.

Duane

Duane